Dehradun (PTI): Girdhari Lal Sahu, husband of Uttarakhand minister Rekha Arya, has stoked a controversy for purportedly saying girls from Bihar are available for marriage at Rs 20,000-Rs 25,000.

His statement, which is reportedly from an event held in Almora last month, has invited censure from the opposition Congress as well as the Bihar State Women Commission.

Rekha Arya is the state's women and child welfare minister. While Sahu has issued an apology after the uproar, the BJP has distanced itself from his remarks.

A purported video, which has surfaced on social media, shows Sahu allegedly saying, "Will you get married in old age? If you are unable to get married, we will bring a girl for you from Bihar… you can get one there for Rs 20,000 to 25,000."

Speaking at an event in Almora, Sahu also tells the audience, "Come with me, we'll get you married."

Sahu has released a video saying his words are being twisted and that he was only discussing the marriage of a friend. "If my words have offended or hurt anyone, I apologise with folded hands," he said.

The BJP's state unit condemned the statement and tried to distance itself from Sahu, saying he had no connection with the party.

The Congress said Sahu's remarks were an "insult" to India's women and demanded an apology from the BJP on the matter.

"This statement by minister Arya's husband is an insult to the daughters of India, whether she is from Bihar, Kerala, or Uttarakhand," Congress state president Ganesh Godiyal said.

The statement clearly reveals the BJP's stand on respecting women, he said. "This statement should be strongly condemned and the BJP should apologise for it."

The state president of Congress Mahila Morcha, Jyoti Rautela, said Sahu's remarks are shameful, especially since his wife is the women and child welfare minister.

"This is an attack on the dignity of women and girls. This kind of thinking promotes social evils like human trafficking, child marriage, and exploitation of women," she said.

BJP state media in-charge Manveer Singh Chauhan said his party strongly condemns such "hateful thinking and statements against women".

When asked whether the BJP would seek clarification from Arya regarding her husband's remarks, Chauhan said that his party has no connection with Sahu.

The Bihar State Women Commission (BSWC) said it will serve a notice to Sahu for the remarks. BSWC chairperson Apsara told reporters, "His comments are highly condemnable. This shows his mental bankruptcy. How can he make such a statement about women when his wife is already a minister in the Uttarakhand government?"

Let the Truth be known. If you read VB and like VB, please be a VB Supporter and Help us deliver the Truth to one and all.



Chennai (PTI): Afghanistan skipper Rashid Khan called for more bilateral series against stronger cricketing nations after his team signed off from the T20 World Cup on a high, defeating Canada in their final group match here on Thursday.

Afghanistan played some exhilarating cricket, going down to South Africa in a gripping second Super Over after the scores were tied, a humdinger that provided one of the early thrills of the World Cup.

However, the spin-bowling stalwart said Afghanistan could make significant strides if they get regular opportunities to compete against stronger cricketing nations.

"Couple of areas to improve, with the batting, the middle order got a bit stuck against the big teams, and then with the bowling the death overs. That comes when you play the bigger teams in bilateral series," said Rashid after his team defeat Canada by 82 runs, with him returning excellent figures of 2 for 19.

The stalwart said the side had arrived well prepared for the tournament and produced some breathtaking cricket, but admitted the narrow defeat to South Africa proved costly and remained a painful setback.

"We were well-prepared (for the tournament), we played some unbelievable cricket. The game against South Africa, that really hurt everyone. We had to win one of those (first two) games and see how the tournament unfolded. We'll take some positive things from this World Cup and look forward," he said.

With head coach Jonathan Trott set to part ways with the team, Rashid described the departure as an "emotional" moment for the side.

"I think we had some wonderful times with him. Where we are now, he played a main role. It's emotional to see him leave us, but that's how life is. We wish him all the best and somewhere down the line we see him again."

Ibrahim Zadran, who was named Player of the Match for his unbeaten 95 off 56 balls, said it was satisfying to finally register a substantial score after two below-par outings.

"I enjoyed it, didn't play better cricket in first two innings, which I expect. Wanted to back my skills, really enjoyed it. Pressure was there, it's there all the time. I want to put myself in pressure situations and enjoy it," said Zadran.

"Wanted to play positive cricket, rotate strike and punish bad ball, create partnerships and this is what I have done."