New Delhi: The Supreme Court criticised the Assam government on Wednesday for failing to justify the detention of foreign nationals in transit camps and demanded an explanation from the state’s chief secretary, who has been asked to appear via virtual mode during the next hearing.

A bench comprising Justices Abhay S Oka and N Kotiswar Singh emphasised that the fundamental right to life extends to all individuals, including foreigners. The court directed the state to take immediate steps to deport the detainees to their respective countries.

The bench was hearing a case concerning 270 individuals held in detention centres or transit camps in Assam. It observed that some detainees had been languishing in the camps for over a decade. "The affidavit submitted by the state fails to provide reasons for detaining these individuals and does not detail the steps taken for their deportation. This is a gross violation of the court's orders," the bench remarked.

The court had previously granted six weeks for the state government to file a compliance affidavit. Dissatisfied with the lack of a detailed response, the court instructed the chief secretary to clarify the non-compliance.

The Assam government’s counsel informed the court that the deportation of illegal migrants is coordinated through the Union government. He explained that the state is responsible for providing complete details, including contact information, to the Ministry of External Affairs, which verifies the identities of the migrants via diplomatic channels.

Earlier, the Supreme Court had directed the Assam State Legal Services Authority to inspect the Matia transit camp, focusing on hygiene and food quality standards.

Let the Truth be known. If you read VB and like VB, please be a VB Supporter and Help us deliver the Truth to one and all.



Kalaburagi (Karnataka), Apr 3 (PTI): A 45-year-old man allegedly murdered his wife and two children before hanging himself at their apartment in Kalaburagi on the evening of April 2, police said on Thursday.

The incident occurred at Gabre Layout, near Old Jewargi Road, under Station Bazar police station limits.

The deceased have been identified as Santosh, a Senior Assistant at the Gulbarga Electricity Supply Company Limited (GESCOM), his wife and their two sons, police said.

According to police, the woman and the two children were "strangled to death", while Santosh died by suicide.

A death note was also recovered from the scene.

"Preliminary information suggests the couple had been married for 10 years and frequently fought. They had severed ties with their family for the past seven years. The death note mentions frequent misunderstandings and quarrels between them as the reason," Police Commissioner Sharanappa S D said.

Speaking to reporters, he stated, "We have registered a murder case. The Scene of Crime Officer (SOCO) team, Forensic Science Laboratory (FSL), and fingerprint experts have inspected the site. The exact timing of the incident is yet to be determined, but it likely occurred between 6-8 pm."

According to the police, after taking the lives of his wife and children, Santosh called a member of his wife's family, informing them about the incident and indicating that he intended to end his own life.

"The family member tried to dissuade him from ending his life, but in vain. When they arrived, the door was locked from the inside. Upon breaking it open, they discovered the bodies," police said, adding that further investigation is underway.

Get all the latest, breaking news from Karnataka in a single click. CLICK HERE to get all the latest news from Karnataka.