New Delhi (PTI): The Supreme Court on Tuesday stayed trial proceedings against former Karnataka chief minister BS Yediyurappa in a sexual harassment case filed under the Protection of Children from Sexual Offences Act.
A bench comprising Chief Justice Surya Kant and Justice Joymalya Bagchi passed the interim order while hearing Yediyurappa’s plea challenging the Karnataka High Court’s refusal to quash the case.
“Issue notice. Meanwhile, trial proceedings shall remain stayed,” CJI Kant said. The bench said the notice was being issued primarily to consider remanding the matter back to the high court.
Senior advocate Sidharth Luthra, representing Yediyurappa, said the high court had “ignored key evidence” and failed to consider statements suggesting that “nothing as such happened” during the alleged incident.
“There are certain statements which prosecution suppresses… the high court ignored facts. He has been chief minister four times,” Luthra said.
“How can you compel the high court to hold a mini trial,” the CJI asked.
The FIR under the Protection of Children from Sexual Offences (POCSO) Act arises from a complaint filed on March 14, 2024 by a woman, now deceased, who alleged that Yediyurappa molested her 17-year-old daughter during a visit to his residence to seek assistance.
She further alleged that the former CM attempted to hush up the incident by offering money.
Based on her complaint, police registered an FIR under various provisions of the POCSO Act pertaining to offences of sexual assault and harassment.
Later, on July 4, 2024, a trial court took cognisance of offences not only against Yediyurappa but also against three others for alleged destruction of evidence and attempts to suppress the case.
The Karnataka High Court subsequently quashed this cognisance order as “cryptic” and directed the trial court to reconsider.
Following this, on February 28, the Fast-Track Special Court issued a fresh cognisance order and summoned Yediyurappa and other accused for appearance on March 15.
Yediyurappa challenged the February 28 order and the complaint itself before the high court, saying the allegations were politically motivated and inconsistent.
The high court, however, declined to quash the case last month, prompting the former CM to move the top court.
Let the Truth be known. If you read VB and like VB, please be a VB Supporter and Help us deliver the Truth to one and all.
New Delhi (PTI): Delhi Police has recovered 1,850 stolen and lost mobile phones worth around Rs 4 crore in past 40 days under "Mission Reconnect", an initiative aimed at returning phones to their rightful owners in outernorth Delhi, an official said on Saturday.
The recovered phones were traced from different parts of the country, including remote areas, through technical surveillance and sustained field operations, police said, adding that the devices were handed over to their owners during a programme at the Sports Ground, New Police Lines, Kingsway Camp.
The initiative focused on a victim-centric approach and aimed at strengthening public trust through proactive policing and coordinated efforts across states, Deputy Commissioner of Police (Outernorth) Hareshwar Swami said.
As part of the programme, teams performed 'nukkad nataks' and screened awareness videos on cybercrime, drug abuse prevention, and senior citizen safety, sensitising the public about digital frauds and safety measures, officials said.
The initiative combines technology, investigation and community participation to ensure recovery of lost property and reconnect citizens with their valuables, they added.
