Ladakh: The Indian Army's installation of a Chhatrapati Shivaji statue at Pangong Tso in eastern Ladakh has drawn criticism from local residents and military veterans, raising concerns about political symbolism and its historical relevance to the region.
The statue, unveiled on 26 December by Lieutenant General Hitesh Bhalla, General Officer Commanding of the Leh-based 14 Corps, was funded by voluntary contributions from personnel of the Maratha Light Infantry (MLI). The Army described the statue as a tribute to Shivaji's "unwavering spirit and legacy," which it claimed inspires generations.
Local leaders and veterans questioned the decision, pointing out Shivaji’s lack of historical connection to Ladakh. Retired Major General Birender Singh Dhanoa criticised the move, remarking, “Are all fixed-class units now erecting statues of their ancestral notables in Corps Zones?” He also called the publicity surrounding the installation unnecessary.
Retired Colonel Sanjay Pande suggested installing a statue of Zorawar Singh, the Dogra general who led Himalayan conquests in the 19th century, instead of Shivaji. Other critics expressed concerns about setting a precedent for similar installations across the country.
However, some veterans defended the initiative, citing its potential to boost troop morale. Brigadier (Retired) Hardeep Sohi argued that Shivaji’s legacy provides inspiration to infantry units engaged in high-stakes combat.
This controversy follows recent efforts by the government to incorporate Shivaji into military traditions, including changes to naval insignia. Critics argue that such moves politicise the armed forces, with some veterans fearing repercussions for openly opposing these initiatives.
Let the Truth be known. If you read VB and like VB, please be a VB Supporter and Help us deliver the Truth to one and all.
Kalaburagi (Karnataka), Apr 3 (PTI): A 45-year-old man allegedly murdered his wife and two children before hanging himself at their apartment in Kalaburagi on the evening of April 2, police said on Thursday.
The incident occurred at Gabre Layout, near Old Jewargi Road, under Station Bazar police station limits.
The deceased have been identified as Santosh, a Senior Assistant at the Gulbarga Electricity Supply Company Limited (GESCOM), his wife and their two sons, police said.
According to police, the woman and the two children were "strangled to death", while Santosh died by suicide.
A death note was also recovered from the scene.
"Preliminary information suggests the couple had been married for 10 years and frequently fought. They had severed ties with their family for the past seven years. The death note mentions frequent misunderstandings and quarrels between them as the reason," Police Commissioner Sharanappa S D said.
Speaking to reporters, he stated, "We have registered a murder case. The Scene of Crime Officer (SOCO) team, Forensic Science Laboratory (FSL), and fingerprint experts have inspected the site. The exact timing of the incident is yet to be determined, but it likely occurred between 6-8 pm."
According to the police, after taking the lives of his wife and children, Santosh called a member of his wife's family, informing them about the incident and indicating that he intended to end his own life.
"The family member tried to dissuade him from ending his life, but in vain. When they arrived, the door was locked from the inside. Upon breaking it open, they discovered the bodies," police said, adding that further investigation is underway.