Thiruvananthapuram, April 9: Normal life across Kerala was paralysed on Monday following a shutdown in the state called by 30 Dalit organisations to protest against the dilution of the Scheduled Castes and Scheduled Tribes (Prevention of Atrocities) Act.
A similar shutdown took place in the state on April 2 as part of the nationwide 24-hour protest called by trade unions.
The state-owned Road Transport Corporation, private bus operators and traders body had earlier announced that they would function normally. But in many places, the protesters blocked roads to prevent vehicles from plying.
In Kochi, the leader of Monday's protest Geetanandan and his supporters was taken into custody.
"The report that we have got from across the state is that by and large the protest appears to have become a success... There is no reason for taking us into custody," Geetanandan told the media.
Shops especially in Kannur district, were asked to down their shutters.
In Kollam, a state-owned bus was stoned. Teachers who were to reach the Class X examinations paper valuation camp in the district were held up after traffic was halted.
"Don't think we can reach the camp on time. We decided to come after the state government had assured us that traffic would not be stopped and the police had taken all steps to prevent it. But now we are stranded," said a group of female teachers.
In the state capital, IT professionals were able to reach the Technopark campus in convoys.
University examinations for the day were rescheduled.
On April 3, the Supreme Court declined to stay its ruling, which activists say has diluted the law aimed at preventing atrocities on Dalits and tribes, as it asserted that it wanted to protect innocent people from being punished.
Let the Truth be known. If you read VB and like VB, please be a VB Supporter and Help us deliver the Truth to one and all.
Chikkamagaluru (Karnataka) (PTI): Tension gripped the Vijayapura area of Chikkamagaluru late Monday night following allegations of stone-pelting, triggering protests by members of two communities and heavy police deployment.
Allegations surfaced that some youths from a community had pelted stones at houses over the past week and harassed girls for the last three days, leading to outrage among local residents, police said.
According to police sources, two youths who were found moving in a suspicious manner were caught by activists of an organisation, beaten up and later handed over to the police. Soon after, hundreds of youths from both communities gathered in front of the Basavanahalli Police Station and the government hospital, creating a tense atmosphere.
While one group claimed they were not involved in stone-pelting, another group demanded strict action against those responsible for the attacks on houses and alleged harassment.
Police, who were alerted in advance, rushed to the spot and dispersed the crowd.
Authorities said they struggled for some time before bringing the situation under control. Tight security was in place across the city.
Meanwhile, the two injured youths are undergoing treatment at the government hospital.
