Thane (PTI): A six-year-old girl from Maharashtra’s Thane died over a month after being bitten by a street dog, a civic official said on Wednesday.
Her family members said she received timely treatment, including anti-rabies shots, and even celebrated her birthday before her condition suddenly worsened.
Nisha Shinde was playing outside her home in the Diva area on November 17, when a community dog bit the child on her shoulder and cheek, he said.
ALSO READ: Suryavanshi smashes 84-ball 190 in Vijay Hazare match
The girl was initially taken to a local doctor and subsequently referred to the Shastrinagar Hospital, which is run by the Kalyan-Dombivli Municipal Corporation (KDMC).
According to the child’s mother Sushma Shinde, the girl underwent a standard anti-rabies protocol. “The child received all mandatory injections on schedule,” she said.
Nisha appeared to be in good health following the initial treatment, even celebrating her birthday on December 3, her mother said.
The child developed high-grade fever and headache on December 16, a day after receiving the final dose of the anti-rabies vaccine. There were sudden behavioural changes, including banging her head against the bed and scratching those nearby, she claimed.
She was rushed back to the KDMC-run hospital the next day and later shifted to a civic hospital in Mumbai for advanced care, but could not be saved, the official said.
KDMC medical health officer Dr Deepa Shukla maintained that the prescribed medical protocols were strictly followed during the girl’s treatment.
Let the Truth be known. If you read VB and like VB, please be a VB Supporter and Help us deliver the Truth to one and all.
New Delhi (PTI): The Delhi High Court on Friday asked Jaideep Sengar, brother of Unnao rape case convict Kuldeep Sengar, to surrender before jail authorities in connection with his conviction in the custodial death case of the survivor's father.
A bench of Justices Navin Chawla and Ravinder Dudeja was hearing a plea by the convict for further extension of interim bail upon suspension of the 10-year sentence.
It observed that the interim bail granted to Jaideep Sengar in July 2024 was last extended in April 2025 and since then, in spite of five dates, no order of any further extension or suspension of his sentence has been passed by the court.
As the senior counsel for Jaideep Sengar urged the bench to extend the period of his release on account of his health, the bench said, "You surrender and then we will see."
"Although there is no extension of interim suspension of sentence granted, we find he has still not surrendered. Before we proceed to consider his application for further extension of suspension of sentence, we require the appellant to first surrender," the bench ordered.
The senior counsel for Jaideep Sengar assured the court that he would surrender by Saturday.
The court listed the matter for hearing next week.
Jaideep Sengar, 50, sought the bail extension on the grounds that he is suffering from oral cancer.
The Central Bureau of Investigation's (CBI) counsel had earlier said it was not a fit case for extension of interim bail, and the prescription given by Jaideep Sengar in support of his plea was fabricated.
In his application, Jaideep Sengar said he was suffering from stage IV oral cancer, a life-threatening condition, and had developed clinical signs of recurrence.
The condition, the plea said, required continuous and specialised medical care.
The plea also informed that Jaideep Sengar has spent about four years in custody.
The high court had granted interim bail to Jaideep Sengar on July 3, 2024, for two months on medical grounds.
Kuldeep Sengar was convicted and sentenced to imprisonment for the remainder of his life on December 20, 2019, for raping the minor in 2017.
On March 13, 2020, Kuldeep Sengar, along with Jaideep Sengar, was sentenced to 10 years' rigorous imprisonment by the trial court, which also imposed a fine of Rs 10 lakh, in the custodial death case of the rape survivor's father.
The survivor's father was arrested, allegedly at the behest of the accused, under the Arms Act and died in custody on April 9, 2018, owing to police brutality.
The trial court said no leniency could be shown for killing a family's sole breadwinner.
