Chennai (PTI): Union Railway Minister Ashwini Vaishnaw said on Sunday the Southern Railway will double train capacity in Chennai and Coimbatore by 2030 to meet the growing demand.
He announced comprehensive upgrades for coaching terminals in the Southern Railway hubs, including Chennai and Coimbatore, to facilitate this.
“We're expanding coaching terminals, enhancing sectional and operational capacities in various cities to meet rising passenger demand and reduce congestion. This move will upgrade our railway network and improve nationwide connectivity,” the minister is quoted as saying in a press release issued by the Southern Railway.
ALSO READ: Record partnership between Shafali and Smriti helps India beat SL by 30 runs in 4th WT20I
The strategy addresses rapid travel growth through additional platforms, stabling lines, new terminals, maintenance facilities and multi-tracking, stated the press release.
Chennai and Coimbatore were identified among 48 major cities for this time-bound capacity doubling, it added.
According to the release, Chennai Egmore station redevelopment features airport-like passenger separation, two AC terminal buildings, 44 lifts, 31 escalators and a 14,000 sq.m. concourse.
Tambaram gets nine lifts and better integration for suburban services. A new Perambur terminal (Rs 342 crore, seven platforms) will decongest Central and Egmore. Multi-tracking projects like Chennai Beach-Egmore fourth line (commissioned) and Attipattu-Gummidipundi third-fourth lines (sanctioned) enhance suburban connectivity.
In Coimbatore, Podanur Junction will emerge as a second terminal with Rs 100 crore investment for stabling and pit lines, said the press release.
Coimbatore North redevelopment (Rs 11.5 crore) includes new entries and amenities while Coimbatore Junction PPP project (Rs 692.65 crore) is in DPR stage.
Let the Truth be known. If you read VB and like VB, please be a VB Supporter and Help us deliver the Truth to one and all.
New Delhi (PTI): The Delhi High Court on Friday asked Jaideep Sengar, brother of Unnao rape case convict Kuldeep Sengar, to surrender before jail authorities in connection with his conviction in the custodial death case of the survivor's father.
A bench of Justices Navin Chawla and Ravinder Dudeja was hearing a plea by the convict for further extension of interim bail upon suspension of the 10-year sentence.
It observed that the interim bail granted to Jaideep Sengar in July 2024 was last extended in April 2025 and since then, in spite of five dates, no order of any further extension or suspension of his sentence has been passed by the court.
As the senior counsel for Jaideep Sengar urged the bench to extend the period of his release on account of his health, the bench said, "You surrender and then we will see."
"Although there is no extension of interim suspension of sentence granted, we find he has still not surrendered. Before we proceed to consider his application for further extension of suspension of sentence, we require the appellant to first surrender," the bench ordered.
The senior counsel for Jaideep Sengar assured the court that he would surrender by Saturday.
The court listed the matter for hearing next week.
Jaideep Sengar, 50, sought the bail extension on the grounds that he is suffering from oral cancer.
The Central Bureau of Investigation's (CBI) counsel had earlier said it was not a fit case for extension of interim bail, and the prescription given by Jaideep Sengar in support of his plea was fabricated.
In his application, Jaideep Sengar said he was suffering from stage IV oral cancer, a life-threatening condition, and had developed clinical signs of recurrence.
The condition, the plea said, required continuous and specialised medical care.
The plea also informed that Jaideep Sengar has spent about four years in custody.
The high court had granted interim bail to Jaideep Sengar on July 3, 2024, for two months on medical grounds.
Kuldeep Sengar was convicted and sentenced to imprisonment for the remainder of his life on December 20, 2019, for raping the minor in 2017.
On March 13, 2020, Kuldeep Sengar, along with Jaideep Sengar, was sentenced to 10 years' rigorous imprisonment by the trial court, which also imposed a fine of Rs 10 lakh, in the custodial death case of the rape survivor's father.
The survivor's father was arrested, allegedly at the behest of the accused, under the Arms Act and died in custody on April 9, 2018, owing to police brutality.
The trial court said no leniency could be shown for killing a family's sole breadwinner.
