Kalaburagi (PTI): Lokayukta sleuths have laid a trap and arrested a Special Public Prosecutor for allegedly accepting a bribe to present a 'better argument' in an SC/ST atrocities case pending before a local court, officials said.
The case has been registered based on a complaint lodged by Naveen, a resident of Kandanuli village in Vikarabad district of Telangana, with the Lokayukta alleging that the advocate appointed as Special Public Prosecutor (SPP) demanded an illegal gratification.
According to officials, the accused, Rajamahendra G, serving as SPP at the II Additional District and Sessions Judge (ADJ) Court, Kalaburagi, allegedly demanded a bribe of Rs 50,000 for presenting a "better argument" in an atrocity case.
The Lokayukta officials said the accused had earlier accepted Rs 20,000 from the complainant and was insisting on the balance amount.
Acting on the complaint, Lokayukta sleuths laid a trap on Tuesday morning during which the accused allegedly accepted Rs 25,000 in cash.
The accused was caught red-handed with the tainted money, and Rs 25,000 in cash was recovered from his possession. Further investigation is underway, officials added.
Let the Truth be known. If you read VB and like VB, please be a VB Supporter and Help us deliver the Truth to one and all.
Bagalkote (Karnataka) (PTI): Tension prevailed briefly during a Shivaji Jayanti procession here after stones were allegedly hurled at the rally, officials said on Friday.
The incident occurred on Thursday in the old city when the procession, which began around 3:30 pm, was passing through the mosque area, they said.
Superintendent of Police Siddharth Goyal said adequate forces were deployed for the procession.
ALSO READ: Netherlands PM Dick Schoof visits Bengaluru
"We were all present at the spot. The procession began around 3:30 PM (yesterday), As it approached the mosque, two stones were thrown from a distance toward us,” he said.
According to the SP, based on preliminary information and videos reviewed by the police so far, one stone struck a police constable while the other fell on his shoulder.
“No one sustained any major injuries. After that, the procession continued smoothly, and the atmosphere remained peaceful,” Goyal said.
Police said adequate security arrangements have been made in view of the procession and the situation remained under control.
"The area where the incident occurred has been covered with CCTV cameras. We had also recorded the procession. We are reviewing the video footages. Strict action will be taken against those involved in this," he added.
Meanwhile, prohibitory orders under Section 163 of the Bharatiya Nyaya Sanhita have been imposed in parts of Bagalkote from midnight of February 19 to midnight of February 24.
According to officials, under the restrictions, assembly of more than four people in public places has been prohibited. Carrying dangerous weapons, engaging in activities that may endanger public safety, and organising meetings, ceremonies or sit-ins without prior permission have also been barred.
Measures were taken to maintain law and order in the affected areas.
