LUCKNOW:  After filing a case against BJP lawmaker, Kuldeep Singh Sengar, for the rape of a 15-year-old in Uttar Pradesh's Unnao, the police and the state government defended the delay in action and said, "The government doesn't want to save anyone."

The lawmaker has been charged under a tough law for sexual crimes against children, after the allegations of the teenager that she was raped by him nine months ago. Asked when he would be arrested, the police said the case had been handed over to the CBI.

The case came to the public glare after the girl tried to kill herself outside Chief Minister Yogi Adityanath's house on Sunday, accusing the state government of shielding the accused politician. A day later, the girl's father died in custody, days after being beaten by the lawmaker's brother, who has been arrested.

"The victim said she was scared therefore didn't mention rape in her first complaint...The SIT (Special Investigation Team) took this into consideration and then registered the complaint against the legislator," said the police chief OP Singh. The authorities said a case of rape was not filed earlier because of discrepancies in the statement of the girl.

Last night, Sengar made a dramatic appearance outside the house of a top police officer in state capital Lucknow.

After the midnight drama and amid outrage over the lawmaker's brazenness, the Yogi Adityanath government ordered the police to file a case against the ruling party lawmaker and hand over all cases related to it to the Central Bureau of Investigation or CBI.

The decision to ask the CBI to step in was taken after a special investigation team, set up by the state government, found serious lapses not just by the police but also doctors in Unnao. The government has ordered security cover to the family of the rape survivor

 

Let the Truth be known. If you read VB and like VB, please be a VB Supporter and Help us deliver the Truth to one and all.



Chikkamagaluru (Karnataka) (PTI): Tension gripped the Vijayapura area of Chikkamagaluru late Monday night following allegations of stone-pelting, triggering protests by members of two communities and heavy police deployment.

Allegations surfaced that some youths from a community had pelted stones at houses over the past week and harassed girls for the last three days, leading to outrage among local residents, police said.

According to police sources, two youths who were found moving in a suspicious manner were caught by activists of an organisation, beaten up and later handed over to the police. Soon after, hundreds of youths from both communities gathered in front of the Basavanahalli Police Station and the government hospital, creating a tense atmosphere.

While one group claimed they were not involved in stone-pelting, another group demanded strict action against those responsible for the attacks on houses and alleged harassment.

Police, who were alerted in advance, rushed to the spot and dispersed the crowd.

Authorities said they struggled for some time before bringing the situation under control. Tight security was in place across the city.

Meanwhile, the two injured youths are undergoing treatment at the government hospital.