New Delhi : Justice Indira Banerjee of the Supreme Court took lawyers by surprise on Thursday, disclosing in an open court room that an attempt was recently made to influence her in an ongoing corporate dispute.
Taking a serious view of the incident, Justice Arun Mishra who was sitting with her, sounded a warning that any person attempting to influence judges of the court would attract contempt proceedings.
Justice Banerjee made the disclosure about an unidentified person calling her while hearing a corporate dispute relating to Hotel Royal Plaza.
She discussed the matter with Justice Mishra and offered to withdraw from the case. But, he advised her against it.
Taking strong objection to the incident, Justice Mishra said some people in the Bar had the habit of dropping names of judges and misleading litigants about the outcome of a case. “Any attempt to influence the judges would invite contempt of court action,” Justice Mishra told the court.
Senior advocate Shyam Divan, who was appearing for one of the parties in the case, confirmed the development to Hindustan Times. He said, “Yes, Justice Banerjee revealed the development in the court on Thursday. Thereafter, I requested the judge not to recuse herself from the case as it would have sent a wrong message.”
Justice Banerjee, who hails from Bengal, was earlier this month administered the oath of office as a judge of the Supreme Court. Before her elevation, she was the chief justice of the Madras High Court.
courtesy : hindustantimes.com
Let the Truth be known. If you read VB and like VB, please be a VB Supporter and Help us deliver the Truth to one and all.
Kalaburagi (Karnataka), Apr 3 (PTI): A 45-year-old man allegedly murdered his wife and two children before hanging himself at their apartment in Kalaburagi on the evening of April 2, police said on Thursday.
The incident occurred at Gabre Layout, near Old Jewargi Road, under Station Bazar police station limits.
The deceased have been identified as Santosh, a Senior Assistant at the Gulbarga Electricity Supply Company Limited (GESCOM), his wife and their two sons, police said.
According to police, the woman and the two children were "strangled to death", while Santosh died by suicide.
A death note was also recovered from the scene.
"Preliminary information suggests the couple had been married for 10 years and frequently fought. They had severed ties with their family for the past seven years. The death note mentions frequent misunderstandings and quarrels between them as the reason," Police Commissioner Sharanappa S D said.
Speaking to reporters, he stated, "We have registered a murder case. The Scene of Crime Officer (SOCO) team, Forensic Science Laboratory (FSL), and fingerprint experts have inspected the site. The exact timing of the incident is yet to be determined, but it likely occurred between 6-8 pm."
According to the police, after taking the lives of his wife and children, Santosh called a member of his wife's family, informing them about the incident and indicating that he intended to end his own life.
"The family member tried to dissuade him from ending his life, but in vain. When they arrived, the door was locked from the inside. Upon breaking it open, they discovered the bodies," police said, adding that further investigation is underway.