New Delhi: British journalist and broadcaster Mark Tully, widely regarded as the BBC’s “voice of India”, passed away on Sunday at the age of 90. He had been hospitalised for a week, news agency ANI reported.
Born in Kolkata, Tully moved to the United Kingdom in his early years before returning to India in 1965 for work. He joined the British Broadcasting Corporation as an administrative assistant and went on to become its bureau chief in New Delhi, a role he held for nearly two decades.
Over a long and influential career, Tully reported on some of the most defining moments in modern Indian history. His coverage included the wars between India and Pakistan, the Emergency imposed in 1975, communal riots, the Bhopal gas tragedy and Operation Blue Star.
In 1984, during Operation Blue Star ordered by then Prime Minister Indira Gandhi, Tully and fellow journalist Satish Jacob were the only reporters to enter the Golden Temple complex and report on the presence of fortifications before the military action against Sikh militants.
Tully’s tenure in India also saw confrontations with authority. During the Emergency, the BBC was expelled from the country in 1975 after it refused to sign a government-mandated censorship agreement. Tully, who was then the BBC’s Delhi correspondent, was given just 24 hours to leave India.
Known for his deep understanding of Indian society and politics, Tully remained closely associated with the country long after his formal retirement, earning respect for his balanced reporting and long engagement with India’s public life.
Let the Truth be known. If you read VB and like VB, please be a VB Supporter and Help us deliver the Truth to one and all.
Bhubaneswar (PTI): The class 12 final examinations of the Odisha board began on Wednesday amid heavy security, officials said.
A total of 4.01 lakh students are appearing for the exams being conducted by the Council of Higher Secondary Education (CHSE), Odisha, across 1,364 centres, they said.
The exams began with Science papers, while those for the Arts and Commerce streams will start on Friday. The exam will continue till March 28, they added.
A total of 2.56 lakh students are enrolled in the Arts stream, 1.14 lakh in Science, and 24,621 in Commerce, CHSE's Controller of Examinations Prasanta Kumar Parida said.
ALSO READ: Indian cricketers not shaking hands with Pakistani counterparts is 'dadagiri' by BJP, alleges Raut
There are also 5,932 students of vocational studies, he said.
The exam began at 10 am and will end at 1 pm, he added
Parida said live streaming of all examination centres has been made available, while 211 question paper hubs are being monitored with "AI technology".
Special squads have been deployed to conduct surprise inspections to check any malpractices, he added.
Chief Minister Mohan Charan Majhi extended greetings to all the students appearing for the examination.
"The examination is a beautiful reflection of your knowledge and hard work. There is no need to put any fear or stress in your mind for it. Remember, your performance will be of high quality only if you appear for the examination not under pressure, but with patience," he posted on X.
The practical examinations were conducted between January 2 and 15.
