New Delhi: As the chain of accidents on the railway line in Balasore district of Odisha on Friday resulted in nearly 300 deaths and left 800 train passengers injured, social media users were found giving a communal angle to the fatal mishap.

A tweet by The Random Indian (@randomsena) included a photo with an overhead view of the derailed coaches and an arrow pointing to a white building nearby, supplemented by the words, “Just Saying… Yesterday Was Friday”. The thread of tweets by the user seemed an attempt to prove that Muslims had a hand in the train accident, reports Alt News.

The post has been retweeted by more than 5,200 users and has received about 11,500 likes so far. The tweet also went viral on Facebook, all of which fuelled the idea that the accident was an outcome of a plan by Muslims, as many users supported the notion and added their own ‘suggestions’ on dealing with whom they assumed to be ‘guilty’.

Following a round of fact-check conducted by the Alt News staff, including a confirmation by journalists on site of the accident, however, it was found that the structure shown in the viral photo on social media was not a mosque but the Bahanaga ISKCON Temple, which is coloured white.

A photo of the entry to the road leading to the Temple shows a board indicating that it belongs to ISKCON. Alt News has also uploaded a video that shows the entrance to the structure and a five-month-old video of ISKCON Odisha unit, all of which confirm that the structure claimed by the Twitter user to be a mosque is an ISKCON Temple. Alt News adds that the authorities of the ISKCON Temple in Bahanaga themselves confirmed that the accident occurred near the Temple and that the structure seen in photos of the accident site was the ISKCON Temple in Bahanaga.

The idea given rise to, that the structure seen partly in the picture shared with the tweet is a mosque and that the accident was a plan by Muslims, is baseless, says Alt News, also calling it absurd to say that the structure being in the vicinity of the railway line had anything to do with the mishap.

While some users who retweeted the viral tweet have asked PM Narendra Modi to pull down all mosques situated near railway lines, Modi, who visited the accident spot and the Baleswar District Hospital on Saturday, has given instructions to restore the railway line. Railway Minister Ashwini Vaishnaw has also said that the work to lay one of the two tracks affected due to the accident has been completed and the other track is being laid.

 

Let the Truth be known. If you read VB and like VB, please be a VB Supporter and Help us deliver the Truth to one and all.



Kalaburagi (Karnataka), Apr 3 (PTI): A 45-year-old man allegedly murdered his wife and two children before hanging himself at their apartment in Kalaburagi on the evening of April 2, police said on Thursday.

The incident occurred at Gabre Layout, near Old Jewargi Road, under Station Bazar police station limits.

The deceased have been identified as Santosh, a Senior Assistant at the Gulbarga Electricity Supply Company Limited (GESCOM), his wife and their two sons, police said.

According to police, the woman and the two children were "strangled to death", while Santosh died by suicide.

A death note was also recovered from the scene.

"Preliminary information suggests the couple had been married for 10 years and frequently fought. They had severed ties with their family for the past seven years. The death note mentions frequent misunderstandings and quarrels between them as the reason," Police Commissioner Sharanappa S D said.

Speaking to reporters, he stated, "We have registered a murder case. The Scene of Crime Officer (SOCO) team, Forensic Science Laboratory (FSL), and fingerprint experts have inspected the site. The exact timing of the incident is yet to be determined, but it likely occurred between 6-8 pm."

According to the police, after taking the lives of his wife and children, Santosh called a member of his wife's family, informing them about the incident and indicating that he intended to end his own life.

"The family member tried to dissuade him from ending his life, but in vain. When they arrived, the door was locked from the inside. Upon breaking it open, they discovered the bodies," police said, adding that further investigation is underway.

Get all the latest, breaking news from Karnataka in a single click. CLICK HERE to get all the latest news from Karnataka.