Udupi: In yet another alarming case of cyber fraud, a 41-year-old man from Udupi has reportedly fallen prey to an online investment scam and lost Rs 29,68,973.

According to a complaint filed at the Cyber Economic and Narcotics (CEN) Crime Police Station, the victim, identified as Chandrakant, was contacted on September 11 via Telegram by a user operating under the handle @Anjana_198_off. The sender claimed to represent Royal Mint, described as an official UK government organisation, and promised high returns through investments in gold, silver coins, and bars, as reported by Deccan Herald on Thursday.

The message lured the victim with the offer of becoming a “gold bidder,” promising daily earnings ranging between Rs 1,500 and Rs 5,000 by simply using a mobile phone or laptop.

Convinced by the promise of quick profits, Chandrakant agreed to join and was provided with a link to a platform supposedly run by Royal Mint.

Between September 18 and October 10, he transferred a total of Rs 29,68,973 to multiple bank accounts shared by the fraudsters. However, he neither received any profits nor got his money back.

Realising he had been cheated, Chandrakant approached the CEN police, who have registered a case under Sections 66(c) and 66(d) of the Information Technology Act and Section 318(4) of the Bharatiya Nyaya Sanhita (BNS).

Let the Truth be known. If you read VB and like VB, please be a VB Supporter and Help us deliver the Truth to one and all.



New Delhi (PTI): Delhi Police has recovered 1,850 stolen and lost mobile phones worth around Rs 4 crore in past 40 days under "Mission Reconnect", an initiative aimed at returning phones to their rightful owners in outernorth Delhi, an official said on Saturday.

The recovered phones were traced from different parts of the country, including remote areas, through technical surveillance and sustained field operations, police said, adding that the devices were handed over to their owners during a programme at the Sports Ground, New Police Lines, Kingsway Camp.

The initiative focused on a victim-centric approach and aimed at strengthening public trust through proactive policing and coordinated efforts across states, Deputy Commissioner of Police (Outernorth) Hareshwar Swami said.

As part of the programme, teams performed 'nukkad nataks' and screened awareness videos on cybercrime, drug abuse prevention, and senior citizen safety, sensitising the public about digital frauds and safety measures, officials said.

The initiative combines technology, investigation and community participation to ensure recovery of lost property and reconnect citizens with their valuables, they added.