New Delhi: Advocate Rohit Pandey of the Supreme Court has written to the Chief Justice of India requesting the apex court to take suo motu cognizance of the alleged mass burials in Dharmasthala and to place the ongoing Special Investigation Team (SIT) probe under the supervision of a retired Supreme Court judge.

In his letter dated September 16, Pandey stated that the extraordinary disclosures surrounding the case, including exhumed human remains, public testimonies, and corroborations by villagers, demanded urgent judicial intervention to ensure independence, transparency and accountability in the investigation.

Allegations and SIT probe

The letter recalls that sanitation worker C.N. Chinnayya had, in July 2025, sworn an affidavit before the court and lodged a complaint with police, alleging that he was compelled to secretly bury victims of heinous crimes and rapes over the past two decades in Dharmasthala. Acting on his disclosures, the Karnataka government formed an SIT on July 20, which has since exhumed skeletal remains, skulls, and clothing items from multiple sites.

Villagers, including Vittal Gowda, uncle of Soujanya, the 17-year-old rape and murder victim of 2012, have testified that they witnessed Chinnayya burying bodies in the past. Guided by his earlier disclosures, villagers reportedly led the SIT to Banglegudde, where several bodies are visibly present.

On September 13, a senior Karnataka minister confirmed publicly that a large number of bodies had been unearthed by the SIT in Dharmasthala, describing the findings as resembling a “battlefield.”

Concerns over pressure and intimidation

Despite the findings, Pandey’s letter alleges that the SIT is facing pressure not to exhume further visible bodies. He also raised concerns that lawyers assisting victims in approaching the SIT are being harassed by state police outside the SIT, terming it an attack on the independence of the Bar.

Demands before the Supreme Court

In light of these circumstances, the advocate urged the Chief Justice to intervene and ensure judicial oversight. The letter specifically requests the court to:

Take suo motu cognizance of the Dharmasthala mass burials case;

Place the SIT under the supervision of a retired Supreme Court judge;

Direct immediate exhumation and forensic examination of all visible remains under judicial oversight;

Ensure protection for witnesses, victims’ families, and assisting lawyers.

“Justice imperilled”

Pandey cautioned that when human remains remain unexhumed due to pressure and witnesses are silenced, “justice itself is imperilled.” He underlined that the intervention of the Supreme Court was the only safeguard to prevent truth from being buried and to uphold the dignity of the law.

Let the Truth be known. If you read VB and like VB, please be a VB Supporter and Help us deliver the Truth to one and all.



New Delhi (PTI): Delhi Police has recovered 1,850 stolen and lost mobile phones worth around Rs 4 crore in past 40 days under "Mission Reconnect", an initiative aimed at returning phones to their rightful owners in outernorth Delhi, an official said on Saturday.

The recovered phones were traced from different parts of the country, including remote areas, through technical surveillance and sustained field operations, police said, adding that the devices were handed over to their owners during a programme at the Sports Ground, New Police Lines, Kingsway Camp.

The initiative focused on a victim-centric approach and aimed at strengthening public trust through proactive policing and coordinated efforts across states, Deputy Commissioner of Police (Outernorth) Hareshwar Swami said.

As part of the programme, teams performed 'nukkad nataks' and screened awareness videos on cybercrime, drug abuse prevention, and senior citizen safety, sensitising the public about digital frauds and safety measures, officials said.

The initiative combines technology, investigation and community participation to ensure recovery of lost property and reconnect citizens with their valuables, they added.