Mangaluru/Karwar: The Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) recorded a series of electoral victories across coastal Karnataka and Uttara Kannada districts on Wednesday, securing clear majorities in the Kinnigoli, Bajpe, and Manki Town Panchayat elections.

In Mulki taluk, the BJP won the Kinnigoli Town Panchayat by securing 10 of the 18 wards, while the Congress won the remaining eight. This was the first election to the Kinnigoli Town Panchayat since it was upgraded four years ago. Polling was held on December 21, and the BJP crossed the majority mark in its maiden electoral contest.

ALSO READ: Viral video claiming Muslim man cooked biryani with sewage water found to be AI-generated

Following the declaration of results, BJP workers celebrated across Kinnigoli. MLA Umanath Kotian, BJP district vice-president Sunil Alva, Mulki Town Panchayat president Satish Anchan, Mandal president Dinesh Putran, and other party leaders took part in the victory celebrations.

In Mangaluru taluk, the BJP secured a clear majority in the first-ever elections to the Bajpe Town Panchayat. Of the 19 wards, the BJP won 11 seats, while the Congress secured four seats, the SDPI won three seats, and one independent candidate was elected. Vote counting was conducted at the Mangaluru Mini Vidhana Soudha.

In Uttara Kannada district, BJP-backed candidates won a decisive majority in the inaugural elections to the Manki Town Panchayat in Honnavar taluk. Of the 20 wards, two Congress-backed candidates had already been elected unopposed. In the remaining 18 wards where polling took place on December 21, BJP-supported candidates won 12 seats, while Congress-backed candidates won six, taking the Congress tally to eight seats in total.

The Manki results have drawn political attention as the town falls within the home region of district in-charge minister Mankal Vaidya. Despite the minister’s influence, BJP-backed candidates secured a comfortable majority. Party workers celebrated the victories by bursting crackers and distributing sweets, with local leaders stating that the outcome would strengthen the party’s position in the region.

Let the Truth be known. If you read VB and like VB, please be a VB Supporter and Help us deliver the Truth to one and all.



Lucknow (PTI): The Uttar Pradesh government on Thursday clarified its stand on announcements from mosques for 'sehri' and 'iftar' during Ramzan, saying the practice dates back to a time when clocks were not widely in use, and that the Supreme Court orders on use of loudspeakers remained in force.

Samajwadi Party member Kamal Akhtar raised the issue during Zero Hour in the Assembly, saying since festivals of all religions, including Holi, Diwali, Dussehra, Kanwar Yatra as well as Christian and Sikh celebrations, are observed in the state, mosques should be allowed to use loudspeakers for making announcements during the holy month of Ramzan that commenced on Thursday.

Akhtar said brief announcements are traditionally made from the mosques to inform people observing fast about the timings of ‘sehri’ (pre-dawn meal) and ‘iftar’ (meal to break the fast).

He also claimed that the government recently removed loudspeakers from most religious places, and urged it to permit mosque announcements during Ramzan to provide relief to people.

The Supreme Court prohibits the use of loudspeakers, public address systems, and sound-producing instruments from 10 pm to 6 am, except in closed premises such as auditoriums, conference rooms, and banquet halls for internal communication.

Responding to Akhtar, Finance and Parliamentary Affairs Minister Suresh Kumar Khanna said the Supreme Court has clearly directed that loudspeakers should not be used after 10 pm.

Even at weddings, police ensure compliance if complaints are received about loudspeakers being used beyond the stipulated time, he said.

Referring to the tradition of mosque announcements for ‘sehri’ and ‘iftar’, Khanna said the practice originated when clocks were not common and people estimated time by the position of the sun.

“Today, almost every person – whether a rickshaw puller, street vendor or vegetable seller – has a mobile phone that shows time. So the necessity is no longer there,” he said.

While the government does not interfere in anyone's religious beliefs, the Supreme Court has laid down the rules on the use of loudspeakers, and “it is not our order”, the minister said.

Claiming that the apex court order relates to sound levels and does not prohibit the use of loudspeakers, Akhtar urged the minister to allow the announcements during Ramzan.

The minister, however, did not offer any further reply.