Mangaluru: Dakshina Kannada MP Capt Brijesh Chowta has said that the construction of foot overbridges on National Highway 66 has been sanctioned to improve vehicular and pedestrian safety and the work will begin soon near Srinivas College, Mukka, and near Fisheries College, Yekkur.
Capt Chowta, who had written to the Union Ministry of Road Transport and Highways and spoken during a recent meeting with the Ministry on the problems faced by users of the BC Road to Surathkal stretch of the National Highway 66. He had referred to urgency to address the need for maintenance, dangerous points and stormwater drains on the stretch, among other issues, laying further stress on its proximity to the port, its position as a key entry point to Mangaluru city and also the intensity of traffic in the region, reports Deccan Herald.
The National Highways Authority of India (NHAI) is learned to have invited tenders worth Rs 26.05 crore to cover 37.472 km from Surathkal to Nanthoor on NH 66, from BC Road to Padil on NH 73 as well as the bypass from Nanthoor Junction to Padil.
The work on the highways includes overlaying of 11.084 km (Surathkal to APMC, Kulur to AJ Hospital, and Nanthoor to Padil), carriageway cleaning, removal of vegetation, road property management and maintenance and road safety improvements (engineering works). Capt Chowta has said that, with improved service roads, infrastructure that supports pedestrians and better connectivity with the New Mangalore Port, the region can boost trade, transport and tourism.
Project Director of NHAI Abdulla Javed Azmi has said that four-laning of the Vamanjoor- Sanoor stretch of the Mangaluru-Solapur NH 169 will be completed by May.
He clarified that the work on the three-km stretch from Kulashekar to Vamanjoor, the Moodbidri bypass and some other stretches had been stalled for various reasons, including court hearing.
In addition, Captain Chowta had written to all concerned officials highlighting the need to address the poor condition of the roads near Mangalore port. New Mangalore Port Road Company Limited (NMPRCL) is learned to have invited tenders for the operation and routine maintenance of prominent stretches of the highway to ensure better connectivity to the New Mangalore Port.
Let the Truth be known. If you read VB and like VB, please be a VB Supporter and Help us deliver the Truth to one and all.
Guwahati, Apr 4 (PTI): The Assam cabinet has decided to lift all cases pending against people from the Koch Rajbongshi community in the Foreigners' Tribunals, Chief Minister Himanta Biswa Sarma said on Friday.
They will also no longer carry the tag of 'D' or doubtful voters, he said.
''There are 28,000 cases pending in different Foreigners' Tribunals in the state against people of the community. The cabinet has taken a historic decision of lifting the cases with immediate effect,'' Sarma said at a press conference here after the cabinet meeting.
The government believes that the Koch Rajbongshis are an indigenous community of the state and they are an inextricable part of ''our social and cultural fabric'', he asserted.
The people of this community are poor and have suffered a lot over the years, he said.
''They will no longer carry the tag of foreigners or ‘D’ voters,'' the CM said.
Foreigners Tribunals are quasi-judicial bodies, particularly in Assam, established to determine if a person residing in India is a "foreigner" as defined by the Foreigners Act of 1946, based on the Foreigners (Tribunals) Order of 1964.
These tribunals are designed to address matters related to citizenship and the presence of “foreigners” in India, specifically focusing on cases where someone is suspected of being an illegal immigrant.
There are 100 Foreigners’ Tribunals across Assam.
The Koch Rajbongshis have a sizeable presence in Assam, West Bengal, Meghalaya, and parts of Bangladesh, Nepal, and Bhutan, and they demand Scheduled Tribe status.