Mangaluru: Several major railway projects in Karnataka have come to a halt due to delays in land acquisition by the state government, even as the Centre has sharply increased funds for railway development in the state.

According to a report published by The New Indian Express on Friday, in a written reply to the Lok Sabha, Railway Minister Ashwini Vaishnaw said Karnataka needs 9,020 hectares of land for various railway projects, of which 63% (5,679 ha) has been acquired, while 3,341 ha is still pending.

Dharwad–Belagavi via Kittur new line (73 km), taken up under a 50:50 cost-sharing agreement with the state. The project has made no progress reportedly, because the required land has not been handed over. As per the agreement, land is to be provided free of cost by the state.

The other projects facing significant delays due to land acquisition include 333 ha pending for Shimoga–Rannebennur new line (96 km), as per the report, 581 ha pending for Belgaum–Dharwad new line (73 km), 488 ha pending for Shimoga–Harihar new line (79 km), 337 ha pending for Whitefield–Kolar new line (53 km), and 206 ha pending for Hassan–Belur new line (32 km).

Vaishnaw allegedly said that timelines depend on factors such as land acquisition, statutory clearances, forest permissions, utility shifting, topographical challenges and law and order conditions, all of which can affect both cost and time.

The minister pointed out that added that while the Centre is prepared to move fast, progress depends heavily on the support and cooperation of the state government.

The minister pointed out that annual outlay for Karnataka has risen from Rs 835 crore per year during 2009–14 to Rs 7,564 crore in 2025–26, an increase of more than nine times.

According to the report, as of April 1, 2025, Karnataka has 25 sanctioned projects including 15 new lines and 10 doubling works covering 3,264 km and costing Rs 42,517 crore, fall completely or partly within Karnataka. Of these, 1,394 km have been commissioned so far, with an expenditure of Rs 21,310 crore.

Recently completed works include the Kottur–Harihar, Hassan–Bengaluru, Bidar–Gulbarga lines and several doubling projects in Shivamogga, Bengaluru, Mangaluru, Arsikere and Hubballi regions.

As per the report, major ongoing projects such as the Hospet–Hubli–Londa–Vasco doubling, Hotgi–Gadag doubling and new lines like Gadag–Wadi, Bagalkot–Kudachi, Tumkur-Rayadurga and Tumkur–Davangere continue to progress, the minister said.

Let the Truth be known. If you read VB and like VB, please be a VB Supporter and Help us deliver the Truth to one and all.



Ahmedabad (PTI): Suryakumar Yadav was cheeky and sarcastic at the same time when the inevitable query on Abhishek Sharma's hattrick of ducks came up ahead of India's T20 World Cup game against South Africa on Sunday.

"About Abhishek's form, I worry for the people who are worried about Abhishek's form. I worry about them. Why are they so worried about Abhishek's form?" Surya, the protective skipper, who walks the talk when it comes to team ethos "All For one and One For All", said dismissing the query like his customary 'Supla' shot.

"Last year, Abhishek covered for all of us. Now it is our duty to cover for him," said Surya, with an obvious reference to his own wretched form that continued for last one year."

For world's No 1 ranked T20 batter Abhishek, the skipper was ready to go that extra mile for what all his junior teammate achieved in the one year run-up to the World Cup.

"But I think about those teams who are going to play against him. That he has not yet scored a run. You know the rest of the answers. When he scores a run, you have seen what happens. It happens, it's a team sport, it keeps going on."

Abhishek has been dismissed by off-spinner in successive games trying to slog and the skipper is least bothered about the type of bowling that's getting him out or the manner of dismissal.

For Surya, important point is to see Abhishek playing his natural attacking game, hell or high water.

"Our team requires a certain kind of game from Abhishek and he is trying to play in that manner. We never want him to lose his identity. If his method doesn't work, we are there to cover for him," Surya said.

During South Africa's practice session on Friday, skipper Aiden Markram, who bowls off-breaks, was seen trying to bowl keeping two cones one on off stick and one on the leg stick. It was an effort to keep it within line of three stumps.

This is a ploy that has given both Salman Ali Agha and Aryan Dutt success against Abhishek.

"Whether they put off-spinners or left-arm spinners, we have played so much cricket, I think everyone is well equipped. You won't get a rough patch even if an off-spinner bowls in first two overs. We play franchise cricket, domestic cricket. In that, off-spinners also bowl with the new ball so many times to the left-handers."

The skipper said that it is imperative to have one's own gameplan.

"Everyone has their own game plan of how to play and who to play. At that time, if the team has a requirement to play shots and make runs, then we will make runs against off-spinners also. But as I said, everyone has their own game plan."