Mangaluru, May 17 – In a crackdown on illegal overseas recruitment activities, Avaneesh Shukla, the Protector of Emigrants (POE), Bengaluru, under the Ministry of External Affairs, visited Mangaluru on Thursday after receiving credible information regarding unauthorised interviews being conducted for overseas job placements.

Speaking to Vartha Bharati on May 17, Shukla confirmed that two separate cases of illegal recruitment have come to light in the city. These actions, he said, were taken in close coordination with the Mangaluru City Police as part of their ongoing efforts to ensure safe and legal migration for Indian citizens.

According to Shukla, upon receiving information that a recruitment drive was about to take place in Bendoorwell, he immediately travelled to Mangaluru. By the time he reached, the planned interviews were already postponed. However, investigation revealed that the agency in question, identified as Z-Zone Consultancy, was operating without the mandatory license required under the Emigration Act, 1983.

A police case has already been registered against Z-Zone Consultancy. The POE confirmed that this agency was attempting to recruit individuals for jobs overseas without valid authorisation from the Ministry of External Affairs.

Shukla further revealed that a separate agency operating out of Pumpwell, which had been active on social media platforms for the past six months, was also caught engaging in similar illegal activities. The agency had been advertising jobs in Europe, Israel, Mauritius, and Gulf countries.

Following a joint raid with the Mangaluru Police, officials confiscated various documents including application forms that listed destinations applied for, as well as bio-data of candidates. The agency's Instagram and other social media handles were found flooded with advertisements promising overseas job opportunities.

An FIR has been registered against this agency as well, making this the third case in the last six months to be booked under the Emigration Act in Karnataka.

Prior to these two recent cases, a similar action was taken against another agency named Higher Glow Elegant Overseas Placement, also located in Bendur Valley. An FIR had been filed against this agency earlier for similar violations.

Shukla stressed that such fraudulent agencies are increasing in number and are preying on the dreams of job seekers, particularly those aiming to work abroad. He urged all citizens to verify the legitimacy of any recruitment agency before engaging with them.

Under Section 10 of the Emigration Act, 1983, no individual or organisation in India is permitted to carry out recruitment for overseas employment without a valid certificate issued by the Ministry of External Affairs. Shukla clarified that those who violate this law can be punished under Section 24 of the Act.

The punishment includes imprisonment up to two years or a fine of ₹2000. In case of a repeat offence, both the fine and imprisonment duration will be doubled.

What Should Jobseekers Do?

Shukla issued a clear advisory to all Indian citizens aspiring to work abroad. He said people must verify if the recruitment agent is registered with the Ministry of External Affairs. This can be done in two ways:

By visiting the official government website: www.emigrate.gov.in

By contacting the Protector of Emigrants (POE) Bengaluru office via email at: poebengaluru@mea.gov.in

The website also provides a complete list of registered recruitment agencies and contact details of all POE offices across India.

Help for Distressed Indian Workers Abroad

When asked about what assistance is available for Indians who may have been duped and are stranded or exploited abroad, Shukla assured that help is available.
Affected individuals can:

Email the POE office

Call the 24x7 toll-free helpline: 1800-11-3090

Even if the person stuck abroad is unable to call, their family or friends can contact the helpline. The issue will then be forwarded to the concerned POE, who will take necessary action.

Responding to a question on steps being taken to raise awareness, Shukla said that awareness programs are being actively carried out across various districts. He personally conducted a sensitisation program for the Mangaluru City Police six months ago and held a session at a local nursing college to educate students about legal migration processes.

The POE offices also collaborate with state governments and other departments to educate people and discourage them from approaching illegal agents.

Appeal to Jobseekers and Agents

In his remarks, Avaneesh Shukla made a strong appeal to all citizens and recruitment agencies.

“To all aspiring emigrants, I urge you to stay alert and approach only registered agents. If you go through an illegal agent, you are putting yourself and your family at risk,” he said.

He also sent a stern warning to agents conducting recruitment without a valid license, urging them to stop immediately and register with the Ministry if they wish to continue such work legally.

“Instead of risking legal action, come forward and work with us to ensure safe and legal migration,” he added.

Important Contacts for the Public

Official Website: www.emigrate.gov.in

Email: poebengaluru@mea.gov.in

24x7 Toll-free Helpline: 1800-11-3090

Let the Truth be known. If you read VB and like VB, please be a VB Supporter and Help us deliver the Truth to one and all.



Lakhimpur Kheri (UP) (PTI): Ten people were killed when a van collided head-on with a truck on the Sisaiya-Lakhimpur national highway on Monday, police said.

The van was going to Sisaiya from Lakhimpur when the accident took place between Unchgaon and Bharehta villages.

Circle Officer of Dhaurahra, Shamsher Bahadur Singh, said all nine passengers travelling in the van and the driver were killed.

District Magistrate of Lakhimpur Kheri Anjani Kumar Singh told reporters that the van collided with a truck coming from the opposite direction, leading to nine casualties on the spot, while one succumbed to injuries at the district hospital.

Circle Officer, Dhaurahra, Shamsher Bahadur Singh told PTI, "Efforts are on to establish the identity of other deceased persons."

The seven of the deceased have been identified as Jaideep Singh (25), Pawan (23), Sohan (21), Ram Goyal (42), Sahajram (35), Pappu (18), all residents of Bahraich district and Adnan Khan (15), a resident of Lakhimpur Kheri district, police said.

Condoling the loss of lives in the accident, Uttar Pradesh Chief Minister Yogi Adityanath in a post on X, said, "The loss of life in the unfortunate road accident in Lakhimpur Kheri district is deeply distressing and heart-wrenching. My condolences are with the bereaved families."

"I have directed the local administration to provide prompt and adequate assistance to the injured and the victims. I pray to Lord Shri Ram to grant the departed souls a place at His divine feet and to bestow a speedy recovery upon the injured," Adityanath said on X.

Deputy Chief Minister Keshav Prasad Maurya and Brajesh Pathak too condoled the loss of lives in the accident.

"The loss of lives resulting from the road accident in Lakhimpur Kheri district is deeply tragic and heart-wrenching. My deepest condolences go out to the bereaved families," Maurya said.