Bengaluru: The Karnataka High Court issued notice to the state government on Tuesday in connection with a Public Interest Litigation (PIL) asking for a reinstallation of the bronze statue of warrior-seer Parashurama in the theme park in Karkala, Udupi district.

The 33-foot statue in the park had to be brought down a few months after installation in 2023.

Petitioner Uday Shetty Muniyal had asked the HC to direct the state government to re-erect the statue by issuing fresh tenders and engaging a reputed sculptor, reports LiveLaw. Further, he alleged that there had been a serious fraud in the construction of the statue, with brass being used in place of bronze, which would endanger public safety and violate public trust. Muniyal added that the upper portion of the statue, which was dismantled in October 2023, has been stored outside the park, leaving the theme park incomplete and hurting the sentiments of devotees.

A division bench of Chief Justice Vibhu Bakhru and Justice CM Joshi had directed the petitioner during an earlier hearing to deposit Rs 5 lakh with the High Court registry within two weeks to contribute towards reinstallation of the statue. Muniyal’s advocate Srikanth VK told the HC on Tuesday that the petitioner had deposited the money as directed and now sought an issuance of notice to the respondents by the HC.

Accordingly, the HC bench issued notice to the state government and adjourned the case for hearing to December 10.

Let the Truth be known. If you read VB and like VB, please be a VB Supporter and Help us deliver the Truth to one and all.



New Delhi (PTI): Delhi Police has recovered 1,850 stolen and lost mobile phones worth around Rs 4 crore in past 40 days under "Mission Reconnect", an initiative aimed at returning phones to their rightful owners in outernorth Delhi, an official said on Saturday.

The recovered phones were traced from different parts of the country, including remote areas, through technical surveillance and sustained field operations, police said, adding that the devices were handed over to their owners during a programme at the Sports Ground, New Police Lines, Kingsway Camp.

The initiative focused on a victim-centric approach and aimed at strengthening public trust through proactive policing and coordinated efforts across states, Deputy Commissioner of Police (Outernorth) Hareshwar Swami said.

As part of the programme, teams performed 'nukkad nataks' and screened awareness videos on cybercrime, drug abuse prevention, and senior citizen safety, sensitising the public about digital frauds and safety measures, officials said.

The initiative combines technology, investigation and community participation to ensure recovery of lost property and reconnect citizens with their valuables, they added.