Mangaluru, (PTI): Police have arrested the prime accused in a 2017 case involving assault and attempt to murder of a police officer, officials said on Thursday.
According to Mangaluru Police, Niyaz alias Nia, was apprehended in Hulimavu, Arakere in Bengaluru during the early hours on Thursday.
He had failed to appear before the court and had been absconding for eight years. Police records show that he faces at least 13 criminal cases across Mangaluru and Udupi districts, and multiple courts have issued warrants against him.
In the past three months, the Mangaluru City Police Commissionerate has tracked and produced before courts 52 accused who had been evading court hearings for over two years. The cases include communal violence, murder, attempt to murder, narcotics offences and activities of rowdy-sheeters.
The police statement listed the names of several accused presented before courts. Cases have also been filed under sections of the Bharatiya Nyaya Sanhita (BNS) against 12 more accused who had failed to appear before courts despite warrants, stated a press release from the commissioner of Police Mangaluru city Sudhir Kumar Reddy.
Let the Truth be known. If you read VB and like VB, please be a VB Supporter and Help us deliver the Truth to one and all.
New Delhi (PTI): Delhi Police has recovered 1,850 stolen and lost mobile phones worth around Rs 4 crore in past 40 days under "Mission Reconnect", an initiative aimed at returning phones to their rightful owners in outernorth Delhi, an official said on Saturday.
The recovered phones were traced from different parts of the country, including remote areas, through technical surveillance and sustained field operations, police said, adding that the devices were handed over to their owners during a programme at the Sports Ground, New Police Lines, Kingsway Camp.
The initiative focused on a victim-centric approach and aimed at strengthening public trust through proactive policing and coordinated efforts across states, Deputy Commissioner of Police (Outernorth) Hareshwar Swami said.
As part of the programme, teams performed 'nukkad nataks' and screened awareness videos on cybercrime, drug abuse prevention, and senior citizen safety, sensitising the public about digital frauds and safety measures, officials said.
The initiative combines technology, investigation and community participation to ensure recovery of lost property and reconnect citizens with their valuables, they added.
