Mangaluru: Police have arrested a 70-year-old man for allegedly sharing a WhatsApp message that could incite attacks against innocent people in Mangaluru, officials said.
The arrested person has been identified as Dharmapala Shetty (70). According to Commissioner of Police Sudheer Kumar Reddy CH, the accused shared the message in a WhatsApp group titled “Hindu Geleyara Balaga”, Deccan Herald reported on Friday.
The message allegedly read, “Wake up, Hindus, before Mangaluru turns into a mini Bangladesh…”. Through the message, he allegedly attempted to spread hatred against shopkeepers in a particular area of the city.
ALSO READ: ₹70,000 car, ₹1.11 lakh fine: Bengaluru student penalised for illegal modifications
The Commissioner said that the police had already witnessed an attack on a migrant worker, who was later found to be an Indian national, in Mangaluru, and action had already been taken in that case.
“Based on the message, the police verified the background of the family concerned and found that they had purchased property in 2014 in their name. There is nothing to indicate that they are not Indian citizens,” he said.
He added that anyone with information about persons suspected to be from Bangladesh could share it with police stations, Assistant Commissioners of Police (ACPs) or the Commissioner’s office.
“After proper verification of antecedents, such persons will be prosecuted and deported as per law,” he said.
He further warned that if anyone shares details branding an Indian citizen as a Bangladeshi based merely on suspicion, or circulates messages that could lead to attacks on people, strict action will be taken as per law. FIRs have already been registered against two persons for posting such messages.
He reiterated that any person staying illegally would be prosecuted and deported strictly in accordance with the law.
Let the Truth be known. If you read VB and like VB, please be a VB Supporter and Help us deliver the Truth to one and all.
Mumbai (PTI): Veteran screenwriter Salim Khan suffered a brain haemorrhage which has been tackled, is on ventilator support as a safeguard and stable, doctors treating him said on Wednesday, a day after he was admitted to the Lilavati Hospital here.
The 90-year-old, one half of the celebrated Salim-Javed duo which scripted films such as "Sholay", "Deewar" and "Don" with Javed Akhtar, is in the ICU and recovery might take some time given his age.
"His blood pressure was high for which we treated him and we had to put him on a ventilator because we wanted to do certain investigations. Now the ventilator was put as a safeguard so that his situation doesn't get worse. So it is not that he is critical," Dr Jalil Parkar told reporters.
"We did the investigations that were required and today we have done a small procedure on him, I will not go into the details. The procedure done is called DSA (digital subtraction angiography). The procedure has been accomplished, he is fine and stable and shifted back to ICU. By tomorrow, we hope to get him off the ventilator. All in all, he is doing quite well," he added.
Asked whether he suffered a brain haemorrhage, the doctor said, "Unko thoda haemorrhage hua tha, which we’ve tackled. No surgery is required.
As concern over Khan's health mounted, his children, including superstar Salman Khan and Arbaaz Khan, daughter Alvira, and sons-in-law Atul Agnihotri and Aayush Sharma, have been seen outside the hospital along with other well-wishers. His long-time partner Akhtar was also seen coming out of the hospital.
Khan, a household name in the 70s and 80s, turned 90 on November 24 last year. It was the day Dharmendra, the star of many of his films, including "Sholay", "Seeta aur Geeta" and "Yaadon Ki Baraat", passed away.
Hailing from an affluent family in Indore, Khan arrived in Mumbai in his 20s with dreams of stardom. He was good looking and confident he would make a mark in the industry as an actor. But that did not happen. And then, after struggling for close to a decade and getting confined to small roles in films, he changed lanes.
He worked as an assistant to Abrar Alvi and soon met Akhtar to form one of Hindi cinema's most formidable writing partnerships. They worked together on two dozen movies with most of them achieving blockbuster status.
Other than "Sholay", "Deewar" and "Don", Khan and Akhtar also penned "Trishul", "Zanjeer", "Seeta Aur Geeta", "Haathi Mere Saathi", "Yaadon Ki Baarat" and "Mr India".
