Mangaluru Police Commissioner Sudhir Kumar Reddy said the city police have tightened their drive against drug abuse, with regular checks being carried out in colleges. Addressing a press conference at the Police Commissioner’s office, he said that in the last one-and-a-half months, 10 students were found to have consumed drugs during surprise inspections.

He explained that 113 colleges have come forward to cooperate with the police in this effort. Based on complaints and suspicions, checks were conducted in 40 colleges, and drug use was detected among 10 students. Action has been taken against them. Apart from college checks, the police also conducted tests on over 1,200 people in public spaces during this period, out of which 478 were found to be drug users.

On the supply side, Mangaluru police have arrested 73 drug peddlers in the last three months, with 37 of them still in jail. Last year, 160 peddlers were arrested, while this year so far, 132 have been taken into custody.

The Commissioner shared further statistics: in 2023, 948 people were arrested in 713 NDPS cases and drugs worth Rs 1.71 crore were seized. In 2024, 1,404 people were arrested in 1,114 cases, with seizures worth Rs 82.52 crore. This year so far, police have registered 477 cases, arrested 610 people, and seized contraband worth Rs 2.04 crore. In just the last three days, four peddlers were arrested and 2.5 kg of ganja was seized.

To encourage tip-offs, QR codes have been installed in all colleges. The initiative has brought in several complaints, which have helped police trace the accused. Commissioner Reddy said the drive will continue and sought public cooperation. DCPs Mithun and Ravishankar were also present.

Traffic violations and fine collection

The Commissioner added that under the 50 percent rebate scheme on pending fines for Motor Vehicle Act violations, 42,600 people in Mangaluru Police Commissionerate limits paid their dues between August 23 and September 12 evening. This has helped collect Rs 1.07 crore in fines.

Action against lucky schemes

Commissioner Reddy also said police are keeping a close watch on fraudulent "lucky schemes" that cheat people in the name of prize schemes. Checks are being conducted on such operations, and action will be taken whenever complaints of cheating are received. Some organisations have been found to be running unregistered for several years.

Let the Truth be known. If you read VB and like VB, please be a VB Supporter and Help us deliver the Truth to one and all.



New Delhi (PTI): Delhi Police has recovered 1,850 stolen and lost mobile phones worth around Rs 4 crore in past 40 days under "Mission Reconnect", an initiative aimed at returning phones to their rightful owners in outernorth Delhi, an official said on Saturday.

The recovered phones were traced from different parts of the country, including remote areas, through technical surveillance and sustained field operations, police said, adding that the devices were handed over to their owners during a programme at the Sports Ground, New Police Lines, Kingsway Camp.

The initiative focused on a victim-centric approach and aimed at strengthening public trust through proactive policing and coordinated efforts across states, Deputy Commissioner of Police (Outernorth) Hareshwar Swami said.

As part of the programme, teams performed 'nukkad nataks' and screened awareness videos on cybercrime, drug abuse prevention, and senior citizen safety, sensitising the public about digital frauds and safety measures, officials said.

The initiative combines technology, investigation and community participation to ensure recovery of lost property and reconnect citizens with their valuables, they added.