Mangaluru: Karnataka Labour Minister Santosh Lad on Friday launched a sharp attack on the Narendra Modi-led central government, accusing it of pushing India into massive debt during the last decade.
Addressing Congress workers at the Congress Bhavan in Mallikatte, Mangaluru, Lad said, “Till 2014, India’s total debt stood at ₹53 lakh crore. But in the ten years since Narendra Modi became Prime Minister, the country’s debt has risen to ₹185 lakh crore. The Modi government is responsible for bankrupting the nation, not us.”
Criticising the BJP’s election campaign style, Lad alleged that the party never speaks about development or governance, instead focusing on Pakistan, Muslims, and Afghanistan to divert public attention.
He further said, “Rahul Gandhi has held more than a thousand press conferences so far. When leaders from other countries visit abroad, they always face the press. But Prime Minister Modi has not held even one press conference in a month during his entire tenure.”
Lad also accused the BJP government of using public money for electoral gains, alleging that funds meant for Bihar’s development were being deposited into women’s bank accounts ahead of the elections.
Speaking about Congress’s future, the minister stressed the need to promote young leaders who believe in the ideals of Basavanna, Buddha, Ambedkar, and the Congress philosophy. “We must identify and promote such youths. Those who can speak boldly from the stage should be brought to the forefront,” he said.
Highlighting labour welfare initiatives in Karnataka, Lad said around 40 lakh unorganised workers in sectors like private trade and transport have been brought under the Karnataka Motor Transport and Other Allied Workers’ Social Security and Welfare Act. He said the state government has also formed a Social Security and Welfare Board to implement social protection schemes for workers.
Congress leaders Suresh Ballal, Padmaraj Poojary, Sadashiva Ullal, T.M. Shaheed, M.A. Gafoor, Lavanya Ballal, Mamata Gatti, and Anil Tadkal were present at the event.
Dakshina Kannada District Congress Committee president K. Harish Kumar welcomed the gathering, while former Mayor Shashidhar Hegde proposed the vote of thanks.
Let the Truth be known. If you read VB and like VB, please be a VB Supporter and Help us deliver the Truth to one and all.
New Delhi (PTI): Delhi Police has recovered 1,850 stolen and lost mobile phones worth around Rs 4 crore in past 40 days under "Mission Reconnect", an initiative aimed at returning phones to their rightful owners in outernorth Delhi, an official said on Saturday.
The recovered phones were traced from different parts of the country, including remote areas, through technical surveillance and sustained field operations, police said, adding that the devices were handed over to their owners during a programme at the Sports Ground, New Police Lines, Kingsway Camp.
The initiative focused on a victim-centric approach and aimed at strengthening public trust through proactive policing and coordinated efforts across states, Deputy Commissioner of Police (Outernorth) Hareshwar Swami said.
As part of the programme, teams performed 'nukkad nataks' and screened awareness videos on cybercrime, drug abuse prevention, and senior citizen safety, sensitising the public about digital frauds and safety measures, officials said.
The initiative combines technology, investigation and community participation to ensure recovery of lost property and reconnect citizens with their valuables, they added.
