Mangaluru: The Muslim Central Committee (R), Dakshina Kannada and Udupi districts, led by its President and former MLC Al Haj K. S. Mohammed Masood, has urged the Union Government to designate Mangaluru International Airport once again as a Haj embarkation point for pilgrims from Coastal Karnataka.

In a detailed representation addressed to Union Minister for Minority Affairs Kiren Rijiju, Masood highlighted the inconvenience faced by Haj pilgrims from Dakshina Kannada, Udupi, Uttara Kannada, Chikkamagaluru, Kodagu, and Hassan districts after the embarkation facility at Mangaluru was discontinued in 2019.

The letter noted that Mangaluru International Airport, the second busiest in Karnataka and ranking 12th nationally in international passenger traffic, had been operating Haj flights directly to Jeddah and Medina between 2012 and 2019. The service was stopped during the COVID-19 pandemic and has not been restored since.

Masood pointed out that during the seven years of operation, thousands of pilgrims from the coastal and Malnad regions benefitted from the Mangaluru embarkation point, with more than 1,500 pilgrims travelling annually. He said the present arrangement, which requires pilgrims to travel 345 km to Bengaluru, has caused severe hardship, especially to elderly and female pilgrims. The journey involves high travel costs, including a round-trip taxi fare of around Rs.10,500, besides accommodation expenses and toll charges.

Under these circumstances, the Committee has appealed to the Ministry of Minority Affairs and the Haj Committee of India to reinstate Mangaluru as a Haj embarkation point, considering the logistical advantages and public demand from the coastal region.

Health and Family Welfare Minister and Dakshina Kannada District In-Charge Minister Dinesh Gundu Rao has also written to Minister Rijiju, supporting the request and urging the Centre to take prompt action on the matter.

Copies of the representation have been forwarded to Chief Minister Siddaramaiah, Minister for Haj and Municipal Administration Raheem Khan, Speaker U.T. Khader, Civil Aviation Minister Ram Mohan Naidu, Mangaluru MP Capt. Brijesh Chowta, and the Chairmen of both the Haj Committee of India and the Karnataka State Haj Committee.

Let the Truth be known. If you read VB and like VB, please be a VB Supporter and Help us deliver the Truth to one and all.



New Delhi (PTI): Delhi Police has recovered 1,850 stolen and lost mobile phones worth around Rs 4 crore in past 40 days under "Mission Reconnect", an initiative aimed at returning phones to their rightful owners in outernorth Delhi, an official said on Saturday.

The recovered phones were traced from different parts of the country, including remote areas, through technical surveillance and sustained field operations, police said, adding that the devices were handed over to their owners during a programme at the Sports Ground, New Police Lines, Kingsway Camp.

The initiative focused on a victim-centric approach and aimed at strengthening public trust through proactive policing and coordinated efforts across states, Deputy Commissioner of Police (Outernorth) Hareshwar Swami said.

As part of the programme, teams performed 'nukkad nataks' and screened awareness videos on cybercrime, drug abuse prevention, and senior citizen safety, sensitising the public about digital frauds and safety measures, officials said.

The initiative combines technology, investigation and community participation to ensure recovery of lost property and reconnect citizens with their valuables, they added.