Udupi: Former member of the National Commission for Women (NCW) Shyamala Kunder has said that a team of officials, led by NCW representative for South India Khushbu Sundar, will visit Udupi to investigate the incident of a video of a paramedical college student being filmed when she visited the restroom.

Addressing a press conference in town on Wednesday, Kunder said that the Commission had taken cognizance of the matter. “As a woman, I am concerned about what happens to women and have brought the incident to the notice of the Commission. I have also requested the Commission to handle the matter ensuring that the future of the girl students is not affected. Chairperson of the NCW Rekha Sharma has tweeted that the Commission will deal with the matter,” said the former member.

“The investigation by the NCW will reveal if the three accused students had truly deleted the video filmed, as they have stated, or if they had shared it before doing so. None of the guilty parties will be given protection by the Commission. Women should remember, while indulging in such activities, that the victim is also a woman, like them. Such humanitarian values should be imbibed by young ladies,” said Kunder.

She further said that, when dealing with such incidents, police should voluntarily register cases and start investigation as a means of ensuring safety to women, instead of waiting for a complaint to be filed by the victim or the relatives. The victim has stated that she will not file a complaint in the matter, she pointed out. “It is also unacceptable that the state government is silent on the incident. The government as well as the minister of the concerned department should address the matter of women’s safety,” she urged.

“No woman should be forced to fight such a delicate situation on political lines. It is also inappropriate for a political party to politicize a woman’s suffering. I am handling the matter for neither political nor religious benefits. I only wish to ensure the victim gets justice.

People too should handle the matter with care and concern, ensuring the name of the victim is not mentioned at any point. They should also be patient enough for the investigation to reveal facts before sharing matter on social media or any public platform,” Kunder stated.

‘Sakhi’ One Stop Centre District Committee member Thara Umesh Acharya, Kollur Temple Board member Sandhya Ramesh and advocate Sahana Kunder Sooda were present at the press conference.

Let the Truth be known. If you read VB and like VB, please be a VB Supporter and Help us deliver the Truth to one and all.



Mathura(UP), Apr 5 (PTI): A retired Army colonel from Haryana has filed a police complaint here, alleging that he was held hostage, assaulted, looted and forced to participate in an "obscene video" at gunpoint with a woman he met through a matrimonial website, police said on Saturday.

The woman from Mathura, who was allegedly in on the plan to rob him, was working with other accomplices, the ex-armyman said in his complaint filed on Thursday.

According to Barsana Station House Officer (SHO) Raj Kamal Singh, Colonel Rajneesh Soni (retired), a resident of Gurugram, reported that he was contacted by a woman from Barsana on a matrimonial website in January. The woman allegedly agreed to marry him, and they began communicating.

The woman allegedly persuaded the colonel to visit Barsana on January 25, requesting that he visit the Radharani temple. When he arrived, she arranged for his stay at a guest house and took him on a tour of the area, including a visit to the temple, the complainant said.

After returning to the guest house, the woman and her accomplices allegedly told the colonel that her brother had been involved in an accident and they needed to leave immediately. They then led him to a waiting car.

"Once outside the town limits, the colonel alleges that he was attacked by the occupants of the car. They seized his phone, physically assaulted him, and forced him to contact relatives and friends to transfer money," the SHO said.

"He was then taken back to the guest house, where he was allegedly forced to participate in obscene videos and photographs at gunpoint. He was threatened that the videos would be made public if he reported the incident," the officer said.

The colonel has alleged that his purse, bag, gold chain, debit card and Rs. 12,000 in cash were stolen from the guest house.

After an unsuccessful attempt at locating the perpetrators himself, the colonel finally reported the incident to the Barsana police two days ago, he said.

"A case has been registered under relevant sections of the BNS and all facts are being investigated. Further action will be taken as per facts found in the investigation," the SHO said.