Mangaluru: In the case that created widespread attention in Puttur, where a man allegedly refused to marry a woman after she gave birth to his child, the naming ceremony of the baby scheduled for January 24 has been postponed following renewed attempts at a compromise.
Speaking at a press conference at the Mangaluru Press Club, Backward Classes Commission member Pratibha Kulai said the naming ceremony was earlier fixed to be held in Kalladka on January 24. However, the event has now been put on hold after the young man’s family reportedly conveyed their willingness to consider marriage and sought time for discussions.
According to Pratibha Kulai, the child’s grandmother, Namita, received a phone call from Madhu Acharya, an office-bearer of the Acharya Community Udupi Federation, stating that Krishna J. Rao’s family was ready to agree to the marriage. The family also requested that the naming ceremony be postponed and sought additional time for reconciliation. Accepting this request, the family agreed to defer the ceremony.
Pratibha Kulai, however, said the family had been misled earlier for nearly six months and warned that this time there would be no room for further delays. She made it clear that if the marriage does not take place by January 31, the child’s naming ceremony will be held on February 7, after which no further compromise will be entertained.
She said the woman’s family had rejected a condition that only Namita and her daughter should come for reconciliation talks, citing safety concerns. Pratibha Kulai added that she and another activist, Nanjundi, would not attend any private meeting and insisted that any reconciliation should take place either at the Puttur Police Station or in the presence of the Mangaluru Superintendent of Police.
Pratibha Kulai further stated that even the Puttur MLA had said that Krishna J. Rao’s family was not agreeable to the marriage. Since the matter is already before the court, she expressed suspicion that the current move could be an attempt to escape legal proceedings. She alleged that earlier demands had included withdrawing the case, giving the child to an ashram, and even seeking divorce after marriage.
She stressed that the marriage should be conducted legally, whether online or otherwise, to bring the matter to a lawful conclusion. If the couple does not wish to live together after marriage, they may seek divorce through legal means, she said.
Pratibha Kulai clarified that Namita had not participated in public meetings due to conditions imposed on her not to attend gatherings. She reiterated that if the marriage does not take place by January 31, the naming ceremony will be conducted on February 7 in a grand manner, and the legal fight will continue.
Let the Truth be known. If you read VB and like VB, please be a VB Supporter and Help us deliver the Truth to one and all.
New Delhi (PTI): Security was tightened across key religious and heritage sites in Delhi on Saturday, including areas around the Red Fort and parts of Chandni Chowk, following intelligence inputs suggesting a possible terror threat, an official said.
Security agencies issued an alert on a possible explosion threat near Red Fort, a major tourist destination and high-security zone, after Central intelligence agencies indicated that Pakistan-based terror outfit Lashkar-e-Taiba (LeT) has allegedly kept prominent religious places in India on its target list.
Sources said specific inputs suggested that a temple in the Chandni Chowk area could be among the potential targets.
ALSO READ: Artificial intelligence, hologram tech bring 'Arjuna', 'Lord Krishna' at AI Summit
While the intelligence inputs are being verified and assessed, security has been stepped up in and around sensitive religious places and crowded public areas, they added.
Intelligence agencies indicated that LeT could be attempting to carry out an Improvised Explosive Device (IED)-based attack. The alleged plan is reportedly linked to attempts by the terror group to avenge the February 6 blast at a mosque in Islamabad, Pakistan, sources said.
Central agencies and Delhi Police units are maintaining close coordination, and surveillance has been intensified through CCTV monitoring, vehicle checks and deployment of additional personnel at vulnerable points. Bomb disposal squads, dog squads and quick reaction teams have also been placed on standby at strategic locations, they added.
The alert comes in the backdrop of the deadly car explosion near the historic Red Fort on November 10, 2025, which killed at least 13 people and injured more than 20 others. The blast occurred when a car loaded with explosives detonated near Gate No 1 of the Red Fort metro station, igniting multiple vehicles nearby and causing panic in the densely populated area.
Security agencies have urged people to remain vigilant and immediately inform police or emergency services about any suspicious objects or activity. However, officials said there is no cause for panic and that the measures are precautionary in nature.
Further intelligence gathering and verification of inputs are underway, an official said.
