Puttur: A 55-year-old man has died by suicide at Edkidu in Bantwal taluk, and his family has now raised suspicions about the circumstances surrounding his death. The deceased has been identified as Harish, a resident of Edkidu. Based on a complaint filed by his daughter expressing doubts about the death, a case has been registered at Puttur Town Police Station.
Harish had attempted suicide at home. Though he was rushed to the hospital immediately, doctors declared him dead on arrival. Initially, an unnatural death case had been registered at Vittal Police Station. However, by evening, Harish’s daughter filed another complaint, saying there were reasons to suspect foul play.
In her complaint, she said her father was running a vehicle painting garage on the APMC Road in Puttur. A person who operated a welding garage in the same building had allegedly assaulted him earlier and had been mentally harassing him. She told the police that her father had shared these details with her.
According to the complaint, Hemant Acharya, who worked in the adjacent welding unit, had been abusing Harish without reason for nearly a month and causing him mental distress. A few days ago, Hemant had allegedly assaulted Harish and threatened him with a weapon. Harish had informed his daughter about the assault and threat. She stated that her father was disturbed by the harassment and this had driven him to take the extreme step.
Based on her complaint, Puttur Town Police have registered a case under Section 108(B) of the Bharatiya Nyaya Sanhita (Crime No. 112/2025).
Meanwhile, the earlier unnatural death case registered at Vittal Police Station will be transferred to Puttur Town Police for further investigation, the department said.
Let the Truth be known. If you read VB and like VB, please be a VB Supporter and Help us deliver the Truth to one and all.
Pallekele (Sri Lanka) (PTI): New Zealand and Pakistan shared a point after incessant rain forced the abandonment of the opening T20 World Cup Group 2 Super Eights match here on Saturday.
Amid a slight drizzle, Pakistan won the toss and elected to bat first.
But the steady droplets soon transformed into relentless pouring, forcing the officials to call off the match without a ball being bowled.
Before the skies opened up, Pakistan made one change to their eleven, bringing in Fakhar Zaman in place of Khawaja Nafay.
New Zealand made three changes with skipper Mitchell Santner back after missing the last match against Canada due to a stomach issue and Lockie Ferguson and Ish Sodhi also found a place in the XI.
But all those calculations and combinations will have to wait for another day, as Pakistan will now face England here on February 24.
New Zealand will make a light travel to Colombo to face home side Sri Lanka on February 25.
The washout has also placed both the Kiwis and Pakistan in a relatively tighter place ahead of their remaining two Super Eights matches.
A similar result in any of the following matches, a possibility considering Sri Lanka’s weather pattern, or a defeat can put their semifinal ambitions in serious jeopardy.
