Mangaluru, September 9: Former union finance minister and senior Congress leader Janardhana Poojary said that Prime Minister Narendra Modi should take steps to slash fuel prices which were sky-rocketed due to illegal storage of petroleum products in the country.
Speaking to reporters here on Sunday, Poojary said that those who store petrol and diesel illegally should be jailed. If the government took such a step, then the price would be automatically reduced, he said.
The Congress which has given bandh call should handle its impact. The Supreme Court has already made it clear that those who call for bandh should bear the loss caused due to bandh. It was very easy for both the Congress and BJP to give bandh calls. But who would compensate the loss worth thousands of crores revenue? If a case was filed against it, no one could escape from it, he said.
When he was the Union Finance Minister, he had tried to minimize the central excise duty. But later, he understood that it was his mistake. It was not right to slash the cess of the state on fuel, he said.
‘Ready to contest if ticket is given’
If the Congress high command assured him the ticket for the forthcoming Lok Sabha election, he would contest the poll. He might contest the election or might not, Poojary said.
Let the Truth be known. If you read VB and like VB, please be a VB Supporter and Help us deliver the Truth to one and all.
Mumbai (PTI): The Maharashtra government has ordered that all files will now go through Deputy Chief Minister Eknath Shinde before being presented to CM Devendra Fadnavis for approval.
The moves seeks to revive an arrangement which existed in 2023 of files being vetted by the then two deputy CMs --Ajit Pawar and Fadnavis -- before being forwarded to then CM Shinde.
State Chief Secretary Sujata Saunik issued an order to this effect on March 18. "Since July 26, 2023, files were moved from Deputy Chief Minister Ajit Pawar, who holds the finance department, to (then) Deputy CM Fadnavis, who held the home, law and judiciary departments before being sent to (then) CM Shinde for approval," as per the order.
This arrangement was made after Pawar, who was then leader of opposition in the state assembly, joined the Shinde-led government along with a several NCP MLAs on July 2, 2023.
Now, with Fadnavis taking charge as chief minister, following the victory of the Mahayuti (comprising BJP, Shinde's Shiv Sena and Pawar-led NCP) in the state polls last year, the arrangement has been changed.
All files will be routed from Deputy CM Ajit Pawar, who continues to hold the finance department, to Eknath Shinde, who is also the deputy CM and holds housing and urban development portfolios.
The files will be sent to Fadnavis after Shinde's approval, as per the latest order.
Since the Mahayuti 2.0 took over, there has been speculation of a "cold war" between Shinde and Fadnavis. Both the leaders have strongly denied the speculation.
There have been disagreements over the guardian minister posts of some districts. Fadnavis had to revoke his decision on the appointment of guardian ministers of Nashik and Raigad districts after objections from Shinde.