Mangaluru: In the backdrop of a suicide attempt by a flower vendor near Bondel Junction, after allegedly being harassed by City Corporation officers under the pretext of a project to construct an auto rickshaw stand, the Dakshina Kannada District Street Vendors’ Association (CITU) has strongly condemned the authorities and demanded strict action against the guilty officers.
The street vendor, identified as Shalini (38), has reportedly been selling flowers near the Junction for the last 13 years. She is being given intensive care at AJ Hospital in Mangaluru as her health condition is said to be critical.
The Association members have pointed out that the auto rickshaw stand was constructed illegally, using the MLC’s funds but without approval of the Corporation. The vendor had been selling flowers 50 metres away from the stand, strictly abiding by the rules for vendors. “In spite of this, Shalini was handled in an offensive manner, with some of the rickshaw drivers parking their vehicles to cause her inconvenience. She was not only issued threats using political influence, but her flower stocks were also destroyed,” they said, urging the police officers concerned to probe the matter and take immediate action on those who harassed Shalini.
Association Working President Sunil Kumar Bajal has also demanded a suspension of the Corporation officers who harassed the vendor with political power.
Honorary President BK Imtiyaz, who issued a joint press release, has called it unfortunate that a woman vendor was being harassed by the auto rickshaw drivers for than a month under influence of a leader of the ruling party. “There is sufficient space in the area for construction of an auto rickshaw stand. Also, it is illegal to construct an auto rickshaw stand without the consent of the Traffic Police and the City Corporation,” he pointed out and warned, “If the police fail to take action against the persons guilty of harassing Shalini, we will undertake a protest leading to Bondel.”
(Assistance for overcoming suicidal thoughts is available on the state’s health helpline 104, Tele-MANAS 14416.)
Let the Truth be known. If you read VB and like VB, please be a VB Supporter and Help us deliver the Truth to one and all.
Guwahati (PTI): Former Assam Congress chief Bhupen Kumar Borah on Sunday joined the ruling BJP in the presence of its state unit president Dilip Saikia here.
Borah became a BJP member during a function held at the Assam BJP headquarters 'Vajpayee Bhawan'.
Along with him, former Congress worker Sanju Bora, too, joined the saffron party.
Borah had resigned on February 16, with the Congress high command not accepting it and senior leaders rushing to his residence, while Rahul Gandhi also spoke to him.
He had asked for time to reconsider his decision, but the next day, Chief Minister Himanta Biswa Sarma went to his residence and announced that he would join the BJP on February 22.
The 126-member Assam assembly is expected to go to polls in March-April.
#WATCH | Guwahati, Assam | Former Assam Congress chief Bhupen Borah joins the BJP in the presence of State BJP President Dilip Saikia, BJP MP Baijayant Panda. pic.twitter.com/VIJcIa2xJ8
— ANI (@ANI) February 22, 2026
