Kasaragod: A video showing police allegedly manhandling a vehicle user who questioned toll collection at the Arikady toll gate in Kumble has gone viral on social media, triggering sharp criticism and allegations of police excess.

Toll collection at the National Highway Authority of India (NHAI) toll gate in Arikady was resumed on Wednesday after the Kerala High Court adjourned the hearing on a petition challenging the levy. However, resistance to the toll continues among vehicle users in the region.

According to local accounts, the incident occurred on Wednesday evening when a man travelling with his family questioned toll staff about the collection. Police personnel who intervened allegedly pulled him out of the car and manhandled him in full view of his family members. Those present accused the police of treating the man like a criminal for merely raising questions over the toll.

A video clip of the incident has since spread widely on social media, with several users alleging human rights violations and misuse of force by the police.

The United Democratic Front (UDF) Manjeshwara unit has also accused the Kumble Police of assaulting the man in front of his family for questioning the toll collection. The unit announced plans to stage a protest outside the Kumble Police Station on Thursday evening in response to the incident.

The Kerala High Court had been expected to deliver its order on Wednesday on the legality of toll collection at Arikady. However, the hearing was adjourned to February 11 after the counsel representing NHAI failed to appear before the court. During the proceedings, the court reportedly raised questions over shortcomings in the actions of NHAI and sought an explanation for the hurried implementation of toll collection at the site.

Let the Truth be known. If you read VB and like VB, please be a VB Supporter and Help us deliver the Truth to one and all.



New Delhi (PTI): Security was tightened across key religious and heritage sites in Delhi on Saturday, including areas around the Red Fort and parts of Chandni Chowk, following intelligence inputs suggesting a possible terror threat, an official said.

Security agencies issued an alert on a possible explosion threat near Red Fort, a major tourist destination and high-security zone, after Central intelligence agencies indicated that Pakistan-based terror outfit Lashkar-e-Taiba (LeT) has allegedly kept prominent religious places in India on its target list.

Sources said specific inputs suggested that a temple in the Chandni Chowk area could be among the potential targets.

ALSO READ:  Artificial intelligence, hologram tech bring 'Arjuna', 'Lord Krishna' at AI Summit

While the intelligence inputs are being verified and assessed, security has been stepped up in and around sensitive religious places and crowded public areas, they added.

Intelligence agencies indicated that LeT could be attempting to carry out an Improvised Explosive Device (IED)-based attack. The alleged plan is reportedly linked to attempts by the terror group to avenge the February 6 blast at a mosque in Islamabad, Pakistan, sources said.

Central agencies and Delhi Police units are maintaining close coordination, and surveillance has been intensified through CCTV monitoring, vehicle checks and deployment of additional personnel at vulnerable points. Bomb disposal squads, dog squads and quick reaction teams have also been placed on standby at strategic locations, they added.

The alert comes in the backdrop of the deadly car explosion near the historic Red Fort on November 10, 2025, which killed at least 13 people and injured more than 20 others. The blast occurred when a car loaded with explosives detonated near Gate No 1 of the Red Fort metro station, igniting multiple vehicles nearby and causing panic in the densely populated area.

Security agencies have urged people to remain vigilant and immediately inform police or emergency services about any suspicious objects or activity. However, officials said there is no cause for panic and that the measures are precautionary in nature.

Further intelligence gathering and verification of inputs are underway, an official said.