Udupi: District In-charge Minister Lakshmi Hebbalkar said that the government was planning to develop tourism in the entire coastal belt in a new manner, including the various islands in Udupi district, as it will draw tourists to not only the coastal district and the state but the entire country.

The minister, who spoke after hoisting the flag at St Mary’s Island during the 77th Republic Day celebrations on Monday, said that the 116 islands in Karnataka, including St Mary’s Island, had been neglected by the administration so far.

“We have failed in utilizing the wonderful resources in these islands. A day-long conference was held in Mangaluru recently to discuss development of tourism in coastal Karnataka, with the Chief Minister, Deputy CM, representatives of all coastal districts and officers concerned attending the conference,” she added.

Hebbalkar called upon the people to support the government in its venture and asked for suggestions and guidance from the people to ensure tourism in the coastal district is successful.

She expressed pride in getting an opportunity to hoist the national flag at the largest island in Karnataka, and reminisced, “When I first arrived here, I inspected the 11 boats that were a part of the Coast Guard force. The experience was thrilling and unforgettable.”

Citing various forces that guard the coast, citizens who work as informers, and volunteers who clean beaches, among others, Hebbalkar called them the true patriots and heroes of the nation as they strive for the welfare and security of the nation sidelining their own safety. “However, please pay attention to your safety while fulfilling your duties diligently,” she requested them.

MLC Channaraj Hattiholi, Karavali Development Board President MA Gafur, District Guarantee Scheme Implementation Committee President Ashok Kumar Kodavoor, Deputy Commissioner TK Swaroopa, Zilla Panchayat CEO Prathik Bayal, Superintendent of Police Hariram Shankar and others were present on the occasion.

Let the Truth be known. If you read VB and like VB, please be a VB Supporter and Help us deliver the Truth to one and all.



New Delhi (PTI): Security was tightened across key religious and heritage sites in Delhi on Saturday, including areas around the Red Fort and parts of Chandni Chowk, following intelligence inputs suggesting a possible terror threat, an official said.

Security agencies issued an alert on a possible explosion threat near Red Fort, a major tourist destination and high-security zone, after Central intelligence agencies indicated that Pakistan-based terror outfit Lashkar-e-Taiba (LeT) has allegedly kept prominent religious places in India on its target list.

Sources said specific inputs suggested that a temple in the Chandni Chowk area could be among the potential targets.

ALSO READ:  Artificial intelligence, hologram tech bring 'Arjuna', 'Lord Krishna' at AI Summit

While the intelligence inputs are being verified and assessed, security has been stepped up in and around sensitive religious places and crowded public areas, they added.

Intelligence agencies indicated that LeT could be attempting to carry out an Improvised Explosive Device (IED)-based attack. The alleged plan is reportedly linked to attempts by the terror group to avenge the February 6 blast at a mosque in Islamabad, Pakistan, sources said.

Central agencies and Delhi Police units are maintaining close coordination, and surveillance has been intensified through CCTV monitoring, vehicle checks and deployment of additional personnel at vulnerable points. Bomb disposal squads, dog squads and quick reaction teams have also been placed on standby at strategic locations, they added.

The alert comes in the backdrop of the deadly car explosion near the historic Red Fort on November 10, 2025, which killed at least 13 people and injured more than 20 others. The blast occurred when a car loaded with explosives detonated near Gate No 1 of the Red Fort metro station, igniting multiple vehicles nearby and causing panic in the densely populated area.

Security agencies have urged people to remain vigilant and immediately inform police or emergency services about any suspicious objects or activity. However, officials said there is no cause for panic and that the measures are precautionary in nature.

Further intelligence gathering and verification of inputs are underway, an official said.