Udupi: A criminal case has been filed against Dr. Kirtan Upadhya, a laparoscopy surgeon at private hospital in Brahmavara following allegations of posting derogatory and divisive remarks against Islam and Muslims on social media. The incident led to widespread outrage after screenshots of his comments surfaced online.
Dr. Keerthan Upadhya, a laparoscopic and laser surgeon, reportedly replied to a tweet on Saturday, July 13, stating "Muslim Community" in response to a question asking, "If you could delete one thing from the planet today - What would it be?"
The tweet quickly attracted widespread attention and criticism from netizens, who condemned the doctor's Islamophobic remark. Many expressed shock and disappointment that such a statement could come from a medical professional. Screenshots of the tweet were widely circulated online, amplifying the backlash. The inflammatory nature of his comment sparked calls for legal action, with many social media users demanding intervention from authorities, including the Karnataka DGP.
Netizens also claimed that Dr. Upadhya had earlier made similar Islamophobic tweets and shared screenshots of the similar posts degrading Islam made from the same handle.
ALSO READ: Islamophobic post purportedly made by reputed Udupi doctor stirs controversy
In response, a case was filed against Dr. Upadhya after a complaint was given by Sub-Inspector (Wireless) Ajmal Ibrahim EA, who is serving as the head of Udupi District Police's Social Media Monitoring Cell.
In his complaint he had requested for proper legal action against Dr. Kirtan Upadhya, who operates under the account 'Lonely Stranger’ for attempting to foment religious hatred and jeopardize communal harmony through derogatory and provocative comments aimed at the Muslim community.
A case was registered against Dr. Upadhya under 196, 353 sections of the Bharatiya Nyaya Sanhita for attempting to disrupt communal harmony and promote animosity between religious communities.
Dr. Upadhya later claimed that his account was hacked and he subsequently deleted the controversial post. However, police sources confirmed that no formal complaint of hacking was filed by Dr. Upadhya.
Mohammed Zubair, co-founder of the fact-checking organization Alt News, pointed out that Dr. Upadhya had deleted the controversial tweet and locked his Twitter profile, preventing access to his account and tweets. He also pointed out that the handle name was changed from @LonelyStranger_ to @Stranger_Solo.
The investigation into the matter is ongoing.
Let the Truth be known. If you read VB and like VB, please be a VB Supporter and Help us deliver the Truth to one and all.
Chhatrapati Sambhajinagar, Apr 4 (PTI): Seven women farm labourers, two of them aged 18, died and three others were rescued after a tractor-trolley ferrying them to an agriculture field plunged into a well in Nanded district of Maharashtra on Friday morning, an official said.
The accident occurred at around 7.30 am in Asegaon village which lies under jurisdiction of Limbgaon police station when the vehicle veered off the road and fell into the well filled to the brim with water, said District Information Officer (DIO) Pravin Take said.
Police and local administration officials immediately launched a rescue operation and pumped out a large amount of water from the well, he said.
At the end of the operation, bodies of seven women were fished out of the well, while three others were rescued, said the DIO.
"The woman were on their way to harvest turmeric at a farm. All those who died hailed from Gunj village under Vasmat tehsil in Hingoli district," the official said.
The deceased were identified as Tarabai Satwaji Jadhav (35), Dhrupata Satwaji Jadhav (18), Saraswati Lakhan Burad (25), Simran Santosh Kamble (18), Chaitrabai Madhav Pardhe (45), Jyoti Irabaji Saraode (35), Sapna Tukaram Raut (25), he said.
Three other women farm labourers - Parvatibai Burad (35), Purbhabai Kamble (40), Satwaji Jadhav (55) -- were rescued from the water body.
Prime Minister Narendra Modi condoled the loss of lives in the accident and announced ex gratia of Rs 2 lakh from PM's National Relief Fund (PMNRF) to the next of kin of each deceased.
The injured will be given Rs 50,000 each, he said.
"Saddened by the loss of lives in an accident in Nanded, Maharashtra. Condolences to those who have lost their loved ones. May the injured recover soon. The local administration is assisting those affected," the Prime Minister said.
Chief Minister Devendra Fadnavis expressed grief over the death of farm labourers and separately announced a financial assistance of Rs 5 lakh to the family of each deceased.
"Some women died in an accident in Asegaon, Nanded district, this morning when a tractor trolley carrying 11 women labourers fell into a well. I pay my heartfelt tributes to them. These women were from Gunjgaon, Hingoli district, and were going for agricultural work," he posted on X.
"The families of the deceased will be given a financial assistance of Rs 5 lakh each from the Chief Minister's Relief Fund," he declared.
"Three women were rescued safely. We are in touch with both Hingoli and Nanded administrations," the CM said.
Later, talking to reporters, Fadnavis said an inquiry has been ordered into the accident and steps will be taken to ensure such incidents do not recur.
नांदेडमध्ये भीषण अपघात; शेतमजूरांचा ट्रॅक्टर विहिरीत कोसळला, नऊ जण दगावले#Nanded #accident pic.twitter.com/FgOvNSlKEe
— Lokmat (@lokmat) April 4, 2025