Bhatkal: National highways passing through Uttara Kannada district, once known for their scenic coastal stretches, are increasingly becoming sites of frequent and fatal road accidents. Poor road conditions, unscientific design, delayed construction works and heavy vehicular movement have made travel across the district highly risky.

Official data from the district police shows that 726 people were killed and 5,124 others suffered serious injuries in road accidents over the last three years in Uttara Kannada. The figures indicate a steady rise in accidents, with national highways accounting for a large share of the fatalities.

As reported by Vartha Bharati, police records show that 233 road accidents were reported in 2023, in which 248 people lost their lives. The number of accidents increased to 264 in 2024. In 2025 so far, 192 accidents have already been reported, resulting in 214 deaths. Police sources point to rain-filled potholes, incomplete road stretches and unsafe diversions as key reasons behind many of these accidents.

The situation is particularly serious along National Highway-66 in the Bhatkal region. A stretch of just about 600 metres has witnessed six deaths within a single month. The victims included students and young adults. Local residents say this stretch highlights the unscientific execution of the highway project and the absence of proper safety planning.

Several areas along the highway, including Navayath Colony, the Murdeshwar–Bastimakki stretch and areas near the old Venkattapur bridge, have emerged as accident-prone zones. Residents say the closure of the old bridge and the introduction of two-way traffic on the new bridge have further increased the risk of accidents.

People living along the highway have blamed delayed construction, incomplete service roads and slow progress in widening works for the rising number of deaths. The four-laning project, which was originally expected to be completed within three years, remains incomplete even after more than ten years.

With highways passing through densely populated towns and residential areas, pedestrians, two-wheeler riders and local commuters are forced to travel under constant fear. Many stretches lack service roads, warning signs and pedestrian crossings. During the monsoon, waterlogging on several sections worsens the situation and adds to the danger.

Residents have demanded immediate safety measures, including clear warning signage at accident-prone spots, working streetlights, pedestrian pathways and scientifically planned traffic management systems. They have urged highway authorities to focus on public safety rather than only on completing construction works.

The continued collection of toll at the Shirur toll gate, despite unfinished and unsafe highway stretches, has further angered local residents. They have warned that unless authorities and elected representatives take urgent steps to address road safety concerns, accidents on the district’s highways will continue to claim more lives.

Let the Truth be known. If you read VB and like VB, please be a VB Supporter and Help us deliver the Truth to one and all.



New Delhi (PTI): Security was tightened across key religious and heritage sites in Delhi on Saturday, including areas around the Red Fort and parts of Chandni Chowk, following intelligence inputs suggesting a possible terror threat, an official said.

Security agencies issued an alert on a possible explosion threat near Red Fort, a major tourist destination and high-security zone, after Central intelligence agencies indicated that Pakistan-based terror outfit Lashkar-e-Taiba (LeT) has allegedly kept prominent religious places in India on its target list.

Sources said specific inputs suggested that a temple in the Chandni Chowk area could be among the potential targets.

ALSO READ:  Artificial intelligence, hologram tech bring 'Arjuna', 'Lord Krishna' at AI Summit

While the intelligence inputs are being verified and assessed, security has been stepped up in and around sensitive religious places and crowded public areas, they added.

Intelligence agencies indicated that LeT could be attempting to carry out an Improvised Explosive Device (IED)-based attack. The alleged plan is reportedly linked to attempts by the terror group to avenge the February 6 blast at a mosque in Islamabad, Pakistan, sources said.

Central agencies and Delhi Police units are maintaining close coordination, and surveillance has been intensified through CCTV monitoring, vehicle checks and deployment of additional personnel at vulnerable points. Bomb disposal squads, dog squads and quick reaction teams have also been placed on standby at strategic locations, they added.

The alert comes in the backdrop of the deadly car explosion near the historic Red Fort on November 10, 2025, which killed at least 13 people and injured more than 20 others. The blast occurred when a car loaded with explosives detonated near Gate No 1 of the Red Fort metro station, igniting multiple vehicles nearby and causing panic in the densely populated area.

Security agencies have urged people to remain vigilant and immediately inform police or emergency services about any suspicious objects or activity. However, officials said there is no cause for panic and that the measures are precautionary in nature.

Further intelligence gathering and verification of inputs are underway, an official said.