Bengaluru: One primary contact of a U.K returnee was among 10 people who tested positive for the new strain of coronavirus and all of them are undergoing treatment, Karnataka Health Minister K Sudhakar said here on Saturday.
"Ten people have so far been confirmed with the new variant of coronavirus infection... nine of them are returnees from the U.K., while one is a contact, the mother of one them.
All of them are undergoing treatment and are without any serious health condition. They will recover soon," he said.
The Minister told reporters here that so far 32 people who returned from the UK and 10 of their contacts- a total of 42- have been confirmed with COVID-19 infection during the RT-PCR test.
Their samples were sent for genomic sequencing and 10 among them were confirmed to be infected by the new variant of the virus.
Seeking to allay fears, the minister said there was no need to worry.
"There are only 10 cases of new variant virus infection in the state... also the number of COVID positive cases in Karnataka are declining while recoveries are increasing. there are only about 10,000 active cases in the state.
If the vaccine comes quickly, it will help further," he added.
Let the Truth be known. If you read VB and like VB, please be a VB Supporter and Help us deliver the Truth to one and all.
Lakhimpur Kheri (UP) (PTI): Ten people were killed when a van collided head-on with a truck on the Sisaiya-Lakhimpur national highway on Monday, police said.
The van was going to Sisaiya from Lakhimpur when the accident took place between Unchgaon and Bharehta villages.
Circle Officer of Dhaurahra, Shamsher Bahadur Singh, said all nine passengers travelling in the van and the driver were killed.
District Magistrate of Lakhimpur Kheri Anjani Kumar Singh told reporters that the van collided with a truck coming from the opposite direction, leading to nine casualties on the spot, while one succumbed to injuries at the district hospital.
Circle Officer, Dhaurahra, Shamsher Bahadur Singh told PTI, "Efforts are on to establish the identity of other deceased persons."
The seven of the deceased have been identified as Jaideep Singh (25), Pawan (23), Sohan (21), Ram Goyal (42), Sahajram (35), Pappu (18), all residents of Bahraich district and Adnan Khan (15), a resident of Lakhimpur Kheri district, police said.
Condoling the loss of lives in the accident, Uttar Pradesh Chief Minister Yogi Adityanath in a post on X, said, "The loss of life in the unfortunate road accident in Lakhimpur Kheri district is deeply distressing and heart-wrenching. My condolences are with the bereaved families."
"I have directed the local administration to provide prompt and adequate assistance to the injured and the victims. I pray to Lord Shri Ram to grant the departed souls a place at His divine feet and to bestow a speedy recovery upon the injured," Adityanath said on X.
Deputy Chief Minister Keshav Prasad Maurya and Brajesh Pathak too condoled the loss of lives in the accident.
"The loss of lives resulting from the road accident in Lakhimpur Kheri district is deeply tragic and heart-wrenching. My deepest condolences go out to the bereaved families," Maurya said.
