Bengaluru: Karnataka Health Minister Dr K Sudhakar on Thursday exuded confidence that the 199 returnees from the United Kingdom who went untraceable will be tracked by the end of the day.

Desperate to prevent the spread of the UK mutation of the coronavirus, the Karnataka government is tracking all those who returned from Britain.

So far, seven people were found infected by the new variant of the virus.

Speaking to reporters here, Sudhakar said 199 people were untraceable of which 97 are foreign nationals, which is why the government was unable to find their contact numbers.

Now, the Home Department is trying to find them out.

"Of the 199 people, 24 were identified on Wednesday. Most probably, we will find out the rest of the people by the evening," the Minister said.

Of the 1,614 people who have arrived from the United Kingdom, 30 had tested positive for COVID-19 using the RT-PCR method, he said.

Besides them, four of their contacts too were found infected with the virus.

"As you all know that seven were found infected with the mutated version of COVID-19, which the Centre has already announced. After that no new cases have come to the light," he explained.

The 30 UK returnees and four of their contacts have tested positive for coronavirus, the minister said adding, the state government is treating 34 people in the hospital under strict medical supervision.

"All of them are stable. None of them have any serious ailment. We are also keeping a close watch on all the people who were in contact with them," Sudhakar said.

Let the Truth be known. If you read VB and like VB, please be a VB Supporter and Help us deliver the Truth to one and all.



Lakhimpur Kheri (UP) (PTI): Ten people were killed when a van collided head-on with a truck on the Sisaiya-Lakhimpur national highway on Monday, police said.

The van was going to Sisaiya from Lakhimpur when the accident took place between Unchgaon and Bharehta villages.

Circle Officer of Dhaurahra, Shamsher Bahadur Singh, said all nine passengers travelling in the van and the driver were killed.

District Magistrate of Lakhimpur Kheri Anjani Kumar Singh told reporters that the van collided with a truck coming from the opposite direction, leading to nine casualties on the spot, while one succumbed to injuries at the district hospital.

Circle Officer, Dhaurahra, Shamsher Bahadur Singh told PTI, "Efforts are on to establish the identity of other deceased persons."

The seven of the deceased have been identified as Jaideep Singh (25), Pawan (23), Sohan (21), Ram Goyal (42), Sahajram (35), Pappu (18), all residents of Bahraich district and Adnan Khan (15), a resident of Lakhimpur Kheri district, police said.

Condoling the loss of lives in the accident, Uttar Pradesh Chief Minister Yogi Adityanath in a post on X, said, "The loss of life in the unfortunate road accident in Lakhimpur Kheri district is deeply distressing and heart-wrenching. My condolences are with the bereaved families."

"I have directed the local administration to provide prompt and adequate assistance to the injured and the victims. I pray to Lord Shri Ram to grant the departed souls a place at His divine feet and to bestow a speedy recovery upon the injured," Adityanath said on X.

Deputy Chief Minister Keshav Prasad Maurya and Brajesh Pathak too condoled the loss of lives in the accident.

"The loss of lives resulting from the road accident in Lakhimpur Kheri district is deeply tragic and heart-wrenching. My deepest condolences go out to the bereaved families," Maurya said.