Bengaluru, Apr 3: A total of 30 candidates are in the fray for the April 17 by polls to Belgaum Lok Sabha, and Maski and Basavakalyan assembly segments, after 12 people withdrew their papers on Saturday, the last day to do so, poll officials said.

The ruling BJP faces rebellion in Basavakalyan, with former MLA Mallikarjun Khuba in the fray as an independent candidate.

According to information shared by the office of the Chief Electoral Officer, Karnataka, 10 out of the 30 candidates are from Belgaum, 12 from Basavakalyan and Maski 8.

Among the 12 who have withdrawn their papers, eight are from Belgaum and two each from Basavakalyan and Maski.

The 30 candidates include three each from BJP and Congress (one each from all three constituencies), one JD(S) candidate from Basavakalyan, 14 independents. The others are all from registered unrecognised parties.

While 26 contesting candidates are men, among four women candidates include two are from Basavakalyan and one each from Belgaum and Maski.

By-polls to Belgaum Lok Sabha and Basavakalyan Assembly seats were necessitated following the death of Union Minister Suresh Angadi and MLA B Narayan Rao respectively due to COVID-19 in September last year.

Maski seat fell vacant following the disqualification of MLA Prathapagouda Patil, who had won in 2018 from Congress and is now with the BJP.

Counting of votes will take place on May 2.

The ruling BJP has fielded Mangala Suresh Angadi, the wife of late Suresh Angadi, from Belgaum Lok Sabha seat.

Pratapagouda Patil, who quit Congress and joined the party is its candidate in Maski assembly segment, while youth leader Sharanu Salagar has been fielded in Basavakalyan.

BJP rebel and former MLA Mallikarjun Khuba is in the fray as an independent from Basavakalyan.

He is said to have not relented despite the efforts made by senior state BJP leaders to pacify him and may threaten the prospects of the saffron party's official candidate Sharanu Salagar, sources said.

The Congress has fielded its state working president Satish Jarkiholi, who is currently the MLA of Yamkanmaradi assembly segment, from Belgaum.

Mallamma, the wife of late legislator B Narayan Rao, is the grand old party's candidate from Basavakalyan seat, while Basanagouda Turvihal, who recently joined the party, has been fielded in Maski segment.

JD(S) has named Syed Yasrab Ali Quadri, who was with the Congress earlier, as its candidate from Basavakalyan.

The party has not fielded anyone from Maski and Belgaum.

Let the Truth be known. If you read VB and like VB, please be a VB Supporter and Help us deliver the Truth to one and all.



New Delhi (PTI): The NHRC on Thursday said it has issued notice to the Barmer administration over reports that some students were allegedly branded with a hot iron rod by their teacher at a hostel inside a temple complex in the Rajasthan district.

Reportedly, the video of the incident also went viral on social media, the National Human Rights Commission said.

The human rights body said it has taken "suo motu cognisance of a media report that a teacher, annoyed with the bedwetting by some students, branded them with a hot iron rod at a hostel inside a temple complex in Barmer district".

The NHRC has observed that the content of the news report, if true, raises serious issues of violation of human rights.

Therefore, it has issued notices to the district magistrate and the superintendent of police of Barmer, seeking a detailed report within two weeks, including the health status of the victim students.

According to the media report, carried on August 22, one of the injured boys reached his home and reported the matter to his family, after which the villagers gathered in large numbers to protest, the commission said.

In another statement, the NHRC said it has taken suo motu cognisance of a media report that about 18 students at a government school in Bihar were allegedly subjected to "corporal punishment" by their teacher after locking them inside a room in Haflaganj area of Katihar district on August 21.

"Their ordeal stopped when some parents raised the alarm while visiting the premises in connection with some work," it said.

The commission has observed that the content of the news report, if true, raises serious issues of violation of the human rights of the students.

Therefore, it has issued notices to the state's chief secretary and the superintendent of police of Katihar, seeking a detailed report in two weeks.

According to the media report, also carried on August 22, several villagers gathered at the school and started protesting. Sensing trouble, all the male teachers fled the school. The police also reached the spot, it added.