Bengaluru, Aug 16 : Four people have died due to the heavy rain lashing the coastal and south interior districts of Karnataka over the past few days, an official said on Thursday.
"Two persons in Kodagu district, which has been badly affected by flood and landslides due to heavy rains, and one person each in Shivamogga and Udupi districts have died owing to the rains," a statement from Chief Minister H.D. Kumaraswamy's Office said.
Details of the deceased were, however, not mentioned.
The coastal districts of Udupi, Dakshina Kannada and Uttara Kannada, and the south interior districts of Kodagu, Chikkamagaluru, Hassan and Shivamogga have been witnessing heavy rainfall leading to flooding and landslides.
"The state will release Rs 200 crore fund to take up relief measures in the rain-hit districts," the statement added.
So far, 29 relief camps have been opened across Kodagu, Udupi, Dakshina Kannada, Uttara Kannada, Shivamogga, Hassan and Davanagere districts by the officials, housing 1,755 people rescued from flood-hit towns and villages.
National Disaster Response Force (NDRF) teams have been deployed for rescue and relief operations in the severely affected regions of Kodagu, Uttara Kannada, Dakshina Kannada and Mysuru.
With several people being stranded due to rain and floods, the southern state has sought the Indian Army's help in rescue operations.
"Though helicopters were ready for rescue operations, they could not take off due to rough weather," the statement added.
Over the last 24 hours, parts of Kodagu and Dakshina Kannada district received extremely heavy rain measuring over 24 cm, according to a weather advisory from the Bengaluru division of the India Meteorological Department (IMD).
The coastal district of Udupi received heavy rain upto 11 cm, Uttara Kannada 17 cm, south interior districts of Shivamogga 20 cm and Chikkamagaluru 6 cm.
The districts in the northern part of the state, which have been facing a rainfall deficit, have also received light to moderate rainfall.
Due to the heavy rain, landslides were reported since early this week in several parts of the state, particularly on the Bengaluru-Mangaluru route, leading to several state-run buse services and trains suspending services on affected routes.
The Karnataka State Disaster Management Authority has warned the coastal and south interior districts to brace for heavy rain in the next four days.
Let the Truth be known. If you read VB and like VB, please be a VB Supporter and Help us deliver the Truth to one and all.
Mathura(UP), Apr 5 (PTI): A retired Army colonel from Haryana has filed a police complaint here, alleging that he was held hostage, assaulted, looted and forced to participate in an "obscene video" at gunpoint with a woman he met through a matrimonial website, police said on Saturday.
The woman from Mathura, who was allegedly in on the plan to rob him, was working with other accomplices, the ex-armyman said in his complaint filed on Thursday.
According to Barsana Station House Officer (SHO) Raj Kamal Singh, Colonel Rajneesh Soni (retired), a resident of Gurugram, reported that he was contacted by a woman from Barsana on a matrimonial website in January. The woman allegedly agreed to marry him, and they began communicating.
The woman allegedly persuaded the colonel to visit Barsana on January 25, requesting that he visit the Radharani temple. When he arrived, she arranged for his stay at a guest house and took him on a tour of the area, including a visit to the temple, the complainant said.
After returning to the guest house, the woman and her accomplices allegedly told the colonel that her brother had been involved in an accident and they needed to leave immediately. They then led him to a waiting car.
"Once outside the town limits, the colonel alleges that he was attacked by the occupants of the car. They seized his phone, physically assaulted him, and forced him to contact relatives and friends to transfer money," the SHO said.
"He was then taken back to the guest house, where he was allegedly forced to participate in obscene videos and photographs at gunpoint. He was threatened that the videos would be made public if he reported the incident," the officer said.
The colonel has alleged that his purse, bag, gold chain, debit card and Rs. 12,000 in cash were stolen from the guest house.
After an unsuccessful attempt at locating the perpetrators himself, the colonel finally reported the incident to the Barsana police two days ago, he said.
"A case has been registered under relevant sections of the BNS and all facts are being investigated. Further action will be taken as per facts found in the investigation," the SHO said.