Bengaluru: A group of practicing advocates from Bengaluru have submitted a publi interest petition to the Registrar General of the Karnataka High Court, urging immediate judicial oversight into the investigation of case registered at the Dharmasthala Police Station. The case pertains to explosive allegations of mass sexual assaults, murders, and secret burials spanning nearly two decades in and around Dharmasthala, Dakshina Kannada district.

According to the petition, advocates Shreeram T. Nayak, Ganesh Prasad B.S., Ganesh V., and Ponnanna K.A. contend that the current investigation is neither free nor fair and appears to be compromised due to the involvement of influential individuals. The complaint, originally filed on July 3, 2025, alleges that hundreds of vulnerable individuals, including minor girls, women, and beggars, were subjected to sexual violence, torture, and murder between 1995 and 2014, with the remains either buried or burned.

The complainant, reportedly coerced into aiding the alleged crimes under duress from powerful figures in Dharmasthala, is said to have provided skeletal remains and photographs from one of the burial sites as evidence. Despite these startling claims and the subsequent registration of an FIR under Section 211(a) of the Bharatiya Nyaya Sanhita, the advocates point out that there has been little to no progress in the form of arrests or forensic examination, even 17 days after the FIR was filed.

The petition warns that the delay in action could result in the destruction of critical evidence, as the accused, though unnamed, are believed to wield considerable influence across political and societal domains in Karnataka. The lawyers also express concern that statements by prominent BJP leaders, including MLC C.T. Ravi and MLA Arvind Bellad, have dismissed the case as a smear campaign against Dharmasthala, further deepening fears of a compromised probe.

Adding to the controversy, the petition cites a meeting between a well-known Dharmasthala figure and Karnataka’s Home Minister G. Parameshwara shortly after the FIR. Although the Home Minister later stated that the meeting was regarding a medical college, the petitioners highlight that his portfolio does not cover education, but home affairs, including oversight of police operations.

“The release of the complainant’s confidential statement further calls into question the integrity of the investigation and the seriousness with which witness protection measures are being implemented,” the petition notes, referencing the Witness Protection Scheme of 2018.

The advocates conclude their petition by urging the Karnataka High Court to intervene and oversee the investigation to ensure justice for the alleged victims and prevent further tampering or suppression of evidence. They argue that only court-monitored investigation can preserve the sanctity of justice in a case of such grave magnitude and widespread societal implications.

Get all the latest, breaking news from Karnataka in a single click. CLICK HERE to get all the latest news from Karnataka.

Let the Truth be known. If you read VB and like VB, please be a VB Supporter and Help us deliver the Truth to one and all.



Pallekele (PTI): Senior Australia batter Steve Smith was on Monday approved as replacement for the injured pacer Josh Hazlewood, hours before his side's must-win T20 World Cup match against Sri Lanka here.

Smith thus becomes the 15th member of the injury-hit Australia squad.

"Smith is named as a replacement for Hazlewood, who is now officially ruled out from participating in the tournament due to a calf injury. The team’s medical staff had hoped to have him fit in time to feature in the latter parts of the tournament but were unsuccessful," the ICC said in statement.

Smith had earlier been flown to Sri Lanka as cover for skipper Mitchell Marsh, who missed Australia's opening two matches due to a testicular injury.

The veteran batter trained with the squad on Sunday and is in contention to feature in the crucial clash.

Smith has not played a T20I since February last year but has been in good form in the format in domestic competitions.

In positive signs for the 2021 champions, Marsh too has returned to training. The skipper batted in the nets while also taking part in running and fielding drills on Sunday.

Australia’s World Cup campaign is hanging in the balance following their 23-run defeat to Zimbabwe, and they must beat Sri Lanka on Monday to avoid an early exit.