Bengaluru, Jul 16 (PTI): A group of advocates met Karnataka Chief Minister Siddaramaiah on Wednesday, urging him to constitute a Special Investigation Team (SIT) monitored by a sitting or retired judge of the Supreme Court or High Court to probe cases of disappearances, unnatural deaths, and sexual assaults in Dharmasthala over the past two decades.

Dharmasthala, in Dakshina Kannada district, is a major pilgrimage centre, with Lord Manjunatha as the presiding deity.

Citing recent media reports and a statement made in court by an individual who claimed that "hundreds of bodies" had been buried in the area, the advocates—including former chairman of the Karnataka State Commission for Backward Classes, C S Dwarakanath — alleged that although an FIR has been registered and an investigation is underway, these bodies reportedly remain unexhumed.

"Furthermore, it appears that the investigation is not progressing following the mandate of the Bharatiya Nagarik Suraksha Sanhita (BNSS)," the representatives stated in a memorandum submitted to the Chief Minister today.

Given the gravity of the alleged crimes, the memorandum added that the "distressing information" suggested the involvement of "highly influential" and "powerful personalities" with significant political clout.

The advocates urged Siddaramaiah to constitute a SIT monitored by an Additional Director General of Police (ADGP)-level officer, along with a sitting or retired judge of the Supreme Court or Karnataka High Court. "This will ensure impartiality, thoroughness, and public confidence in the investigation," the memorandum said.

They also called for the involvement of a dedicated Forensic Science Laboratory (FSL) team, including experts in DNA analysis, digital forensics, and other specialised units, which they said is crucial for gathering irrefutable scientific evidence.

The advocates further requested that the entire investigation be video recorded to ensure transparency and accountability at every stage.

"The crime scene must be thoroughly analysed to gather all possible evidence, and all individuals—regardless of their influence—who are found to be involved must be arrested immediately and subjected to custodial interrogation," the memorandum stated.

They urged the Chief Minister to take appropriate and decisive action in the interest of society and to ensure that justice is served.

Get all the latest, breaking news from Karnataka in a single click. CLICK HERE to get all the latest news from Karnataka.

Let the Truth be known. If you read VB and like VB, please be a VB Supporter and Help us deliver the Truth to one and all.



Ranchi (PTI): The body of a migrant worker from Jharkhand’s Giridih district killed in Saudi Arabia in October last year has arrived at Ranchi Airport, but his family refused to accept it over pending compensation, officials said.

Shikha Lakra, team leader of the state migrant control cell, told PTI that, before taking the body of Vijay Kumar Mahato, the family is demanding compensation from the private company where he used to work in the Arab country.

Mahato was killed in an alleged crossfire between the police and criminals.

“Since it was a bullet injury case, the matter is before a court in Jeddah. The final compensation may depend on the court’s decision,” Lakra said.

“The Indian Embassy informed us about the body’s arrival, and coordination was done with district authorities. Our role is limited to coordination in cases involving overseas employers and foreign jurisdiction,” she added.

Giridih Deputy Commissioner Ram Niwas Yadav said the authorities will try to convince the family to perform the last rites.

“We have already sanctioned Rs 5 lakh under the government scheme for migrant’s deaths abroad. The compensation payment might take some time,” he said.

The body is currently at the mortuary of Rajendra Institute of Medical Sciences (RIMS) in Ranchi.

The Family members said they will only accept it if the company provides written assurance regarding compensation. “Without that assurance, we will not receive the body,” said Ram Prasad Mahato, the deceased’s brother-in-law.

Mahato, a native of Dudhpaniya village in Madh Gopali panchayat under Dumri block, was employed as a tower line fitter. His family said he was struck by a bullet during a gunfight between local police and an extortion gang and later succumbed to his injuries.

Social activist Sikander Ali said Mahato is survived by his wife, two young sons aged five and three, and elderly parents.