Bengaluru: The Karnataka government, which has permitted the development of an amusement park on the lines of Disneyland near the Krishnaraja Sagar (KRS) in Mandya district, was directed by the High Court on Friday to submit an affidavit clarifying if any technical assessment was done on dam safety before approving the project proposal.

The project is being undertaken near the dam at an estimated cost of ₹2,663 crore under the public-private partnership.

The High Court bench of Chief Justice V Kameshwar Rao and Justice CM Joshi, which heard two public interest litigations (PILs) filed against the construction of the amusement park, has also demanded information regarding a proposal to construct infrastructure facilities to accommodate 20,000 to 25,000 people in an open theatre along with parking place to attend the proposed programme of ‘Cauvery Aarti’ near the KRS.

The petitioners, K Boraiah and four other farmers from Krishnaraja Sagar in Srirangapatna taluk, and Sunanda Jayaram, an agriculturist from Gejjalagere in Mandya taluk, have questioned the tenders issued by the government inviting proposals from private companies to develop the project and maintain it for 30 years. Sunanda Jayaram has questioned the in-principal approval given by the Water Resources Department to the Cauvery Neeravari Nigama Limited (CNNL) to utilise around Rs 92 crore to create permanent infrastructure for ‘Cauvery Aarti’.

Their PIL points out that the authorities had neglected the safety of the KRS while proposing the projects. They also argued that the HC had, in January 2024, banned all types of mining and quarrying activities within a 20-km radius of the dam till the completion of a study by experts. The HC had also directed authorities concerned to ensure that the decision be taken by a committee on dam safety, set up as per the provisions of the Dam Safety Act, 2021.

The government earlier pointed out that the tender for the project was not complete. While that for installing a statue of the Cauvery is complete, the work order was yet to be issued. The government documents produced before the court had reference to an old technical assessment report with regard to the impact of installing the statue and not other construction works.

The judges, hearing the petition, have asked the government as well as the CNNL to file affidavits clarifying on the technical assessment of the work on the project near the dam that had been undertaken after the State Advocate-General sought time to answer the specific query of the court on whether prior technical assessments were carried out in this regard, although assuring the court that safety of the dam has been kept in mind while approving the projects and that apprehensions of the petitioners are unfounded.

Let the Truth be known. If you read VB and like VB, please be a VB Supporter and Help us deliver the Truth to one and all.



Ranchi (PTI): The body of a migrant worker from Jharkhand’s Giridih district killed in Saudi Arabia in October last year has arrived at Ranchi Airport, but his family refused to accept it over pending compensation, officials said.

Shikha Lakra, team leader of the state migrant control cell, told PTI that, before taking the body of Vijay Kumar Mahato, the family is demanding compensation from the private company where he used to work in the Arab country.

Mahato was killed in an alleged crossfire between the police and criminals.

“Since it was a bullet injury case, the matter is before a court in Jeddah. The final compensation may depend on the court’s decision,” Lakra said.

“The Indian Embassy informed us about the body’s arrival, and coordination was done with district authorities. Our role is limited to coordination in cases involving overseas employers and foreign jurisdiction,” she added.

Giridih Deputy Commissioner Ram Niwas Yadav said the authorities will try to convince the family to perform the last rites.

“We have already sanctioned Rs 5 lakh under the government scheme for migrant’s deaths abroad. The compensation payment might take some time,” he said.

The body is currently at the mortuary of Rajendra Institute of Medical Sciences (RIMS) in Ranchi.

The Family members said they will only accept it if the company provides written assurance regarding compensation. “Without that assurance, we will not receive the body,” said Ram Prasad Mahato, the deceased’s brother-in-law.

Mahato, a native of Dudhpaniya village in Madh Gopali panchayat under Dumri block, was employed as a tower line fitter. His family said he was struck by a bullet during a gunfight between local police and an extortion gang and later succumbed to his injuries.

Social activist Sikander Ali said Mahato is survived by his wife, two young sons aged five and three, and elderly parents.