Bengaluru (PTI): Following a controversy over Italian luxury brand Prada's use of footwear closely resembling Kolhapuri chappals, Karnataka Minister Priyank Kharge emphasised that the names, work, and legacy of the state's artisans who craft these iconic chappals should be recognised, not sidelined.
Taking a dig at the brand, he said that Prada is selling what are essentially Kolhapuri chappals for Rs 1.2 lakh a pair.
Taking to 'X' on Sunday, he said that few people know that a large number of the artisans who make these iconic chappals actually live in Karnataka's Athani, Nippani, Chikkodi, Raibag, and other parts of Belagavi, Bagalkot, and Dharwad.
"They've been making these chappals for generations, selling them in nearby towns, especially Kolhapur, which became the default market and over time, the brand," he said.
Kharge recalled how, when he was the Social Welfare Minister, they saw Maharashtra pushing for sole GI tag rights over Kolhapuris.
"Through Dr. Babu Jagjivan Ram Leather Industries Development Corporation Ltd (LIDKAR), a state-owned establishment that sells leather products, we contested this and fought to ensure Karnataka's artisans were not left out. I'm proud to say we succeeded. The GI tag was finally granted jointly to four districts each in Karnataka and Maharashtra. This was never about a contest between the two states but about preserving our shared heritage and giving our artisans the legal recognition they deserve," he said.
The Minister expressed that this Prada episode is a reminder that the GI tag recognition alone isn't enough and stressed the importance of Cultural entrepreneurship.
"We need to invest in skilling, branding, design innovation, and global market access for these artisans. They don't just deserve credit, they deserve better prices, wider exposure, and the chance to build lasting, dignified livelihoods from their craft," he said.
When international fashion houses adopt our designs, the names, work, and legacy of our artisans should be showcased, not sidelined, said Priyank Kharge.
"The GI tag only gives them legal rights. It's now our responsibility to give them global platforms," he added.
Let the Truth be known. If you read VB and like VB, please be a VB Supporter and Help us deliver the Truth to one and all.
Ranchi (PTI): The body of a migrant worker from Jharkhand’s Giridih district killed in Saudi Arabia in October last year has arrived at Ranchi Airport, but his family refused to accept it over pending compensation, officials said.
Shikha Lakra, team leader of the state migrant control cell, told PTI that, before taking the body of Vijay Kumar Mahato, the family is demanding compensation from the private company where he used to work in the Arab country.
Mahato was killed in an alleged crossfire between the police and criminals.
“Since it was a bullet injury case, the matter is before a court in Jeddah. The final compensation may depend on the court’s decision,” Lakra said.
“The Indian Embassy informed us about the body’s arrival, and coordination was done with district authorities. Our role is limited to coordination in cases involving overseas employers and foreign jurisdiction,” she added.
Giridih Deputy Commissioner Ram Niwas Yadav said the authorities will try to convince the family to perform the last rites.
“We have already sanctioned Rs 5 lakh under the government scheme for migrant’s deaths abroad. The compensation payment might take some time,” he said.
The body is currently at the mortuary of Rajendra Institute of Medical Sciences (RIMS) in Ranchi.
The Family members said they will only accept it if the company provides written assurance regarding compensation. “Without that assurance, we will not receive the body,” said Ram Prasad Mahato, the deceased’s brother-in-law.
Mahato, a native of Dudhpaniya village in Madh Gopali panchayat under Dumri block, was employed as a tower line fitter. His family said he was struck by a bullet during a gunfight between local police and an extortion gang and later succumbed to his injuries.
Social activist Sikander Ali said Mahato is survived by his wife, two young sons aged five and three, and elderly parents.
