Bengaluru: Chief Election Commissioner Om Prakash Rawat and Election Commissioners Sunil Arora and Ashok Lavasa on Thursday launched three mobile applications for voters ahead of the May 12 Karnataka Assembly elections.

The applications -- Election Officers' Directory, Model Code of Conduct Reporting and Election Quiz -- would allow the voters to find the contact numbers of the poll officers, report any violations of code of conduct and get information on the polls.

"Our aim is to ensure that no voter is left behind, as every vote is valuable and counts," said Rawat on the occasion.

On the second day of the poll panel's visit to the state, its members reviewed arrangements for the polling with the Deputy Commissioners (DCs) and Superintendents of Police (SPs) of the 30 districts across the state, an official statement said.

"All the District Electoral Officers were apprised of the use of VVPAT (Voter Verifiable Paper Audit Trail) counting booth model prepared by the state's Chief Electoral Officer (CEO) Sanjiv Kumar," it said.

With a theme for the assembly election, "Inclusive, Accessible and Ethical Elections", the poll panel has been working on educating the voters in the city and across the state.

In a bid to educate voters, the city's civic corporation has put up about 100 hoardings across the city bearing messages on electoral participation.

The poll panel is also holding various Electronic Voting Machine (EVM) and VVPAT awareness campaigns in the state.

Rawat on Thursday flagged off eight vehicles that will travel through the state with election awareness content.

A photo exhibition displaying the evolution of electoral process in the country has also been unveiled at Chitrakala Parishad in the city centre.

 

Let the Truth be known. If you read VB and like VB, please be a VB Supporter and Help us deliver the Truth to one and all.



Ranchi (PTI): The body of a migrant worker from Jharkhand’s Giridih district killed in Saudi Arabia in October last year has arrived at Ranchi Airport, but his family refused to accept it over pending compensation, officials said.

Shikha Lakra, team leader of the state migrant control cell, told PTI that, before taking the body of Vijay Kumar Mahato, the family is demanding compensation from the private company where he used to work in the Arab country.

Mahato was killed in an alleged crossfire between the police and criminals.

“Since it was a bullet injury case, the matter is before a court in Jeddah. The final compensation may depend on the court’s decision,” Lakra said.

“The Indian Embassy informed us about the body’s arrival, and coordination was done with district authorities. Our role is limited to coordination in cases involving overseas employers and foreign jurisdiction,” she added.

Giridih Deputy Commissioner Ram Niwas Yadav said the authorities will try to convince the family to perform the last rites.

“We have already sanctioned Rs 5 lakh under the government scheme for migrant’s deaths abroad. The compensation payment might take some time,” he said.

The body is currently at the mortuary of Rajendra Institute of Medical Sciences (RIMS) in Ranchi.

The Family members said they will only accept it if the company provides written assurance regarding compensation. “Without that assurance, we will not receive the body,” said Ram Prasad Mahato, the deceased’s brother-in-law.

Mahato, a native of Dudhpaniya village in Madh Gopali panchayat under Dumri block, was employed as a tower line fitter. His family said he was struck by a bullet during a gunfight between local police and an extortion gang and later succumbed to his injuries.

Social activist Sikander Ali said Mahato is survived by his wife, two young sons aged five and three, and elderly parents.