Bengaluru: The Bengaluru Regional Transport Authority (RTA) has announced a revised fare structure for auto rickshaws operating within the city limits. As per the new order, the minimum fare has been increased to Rs 36 for the first 2 kilometres, while passengers will have to pay Rs 18 for every subsequent kilometre. The revised fare will come into effect from August 1.
According to the new structure, the first five minutes of waiting time will be free, after which a fee of Rs 10 for every 15 minutes of waiting will be charged. In addition, a luggage charge of Rs 10 has also been fixed.
For travel during night hours (10 PM to 5 AM), passengers will be required to pay 50% extra over and above the standard fare.
The RTA has also directed that every auto rickshaw must prominently display a fare chart approved by the authority. Additionally, all meters must be recalibrated and re-verified to reflect the new fare structure by August 31. This verification process must be certified and sealed, as mentioned in the official order.
Let the Truth be known. If you read VB and like VB, please be a VB Supporter and Help us deliver the Truth to one and all.
Ranchi (PTI): The body of a migrant worker from Jharkhand’s Giridih district killed in Saudi Arabia in October last year has arrived at Ranchi Airport, but his family refused to accept it over pending compensation, officials said.
Shikha Lakra, team leader of the state migrant control cell, told PTI that, before taking the body of Vijay Kumar Mahato, the family is demanding compensation from the private company where he used to work in the Arab country.
Mahato was killed in an alleged crossfire between the police and criminals.
“Since it was a bullet injury case, the matter is before a court in Jeddah. The final compensation may depend on the court’s decision,” Lakra said.
“The Indian Embassy informed us about the body’s arrival, and coordination was done with district authorities. Our role is limited to coordination in cases involving overseas employers and foreign jurisdiction,” she added.
Giridih Deputy Commissioner Ram Niwas Yadav said the authorities will try to convince the family to perform the last rites.
“We have already sanctioned Rs 5 lakh under the government scheme for migrant’s deaths abroad. The compensation payment might take some time,” he said.
The body is currently at the mortuary of Rajendra Institute of Medical Sciences (RIMS) in Ranchi.
The Family members said they will only accept it if the company provides written assurance regarding compensation. “Without that assurance, we will not receive the body,” said Ram Prasad Mahato, the deceased’s brother-in-law.
Mahato, a native of Dudhpaniya village in Madh Gopali panchayat under Dumri block, was employed as a tower line fitter. His family said he was struck by a bullet during a gunfight between local police and an extortion gang and later succumbed to his injuries.
Social activist Sikander Ali said Mahato is survived by his wife, two young sons aged five and three, and elderly parents.
