Bengaluru, Feb 10 (PTI): Ahead of the Global Investors Meet (GIM), the Karnataka government received a major boost as the Baldota Group announced an investment of Rs 54,000 crore to set up an integrated steel plant in Koppal taluk with a production capacity of 10.50 million tonnes per annum.
A government statement said the company will sign a Memorandum of Agreement during the GIM on Tuesday in the presence of Chief Minister Siddaramaiah.
"Rahul Kumar N Baldota, Joint Managing Director of the Baldota Group, made this announcement," it said.
"The new steel plant will be established under the name Baldota Steel and Power Limited (BSPL) in Koppal. According to Rahul Kumar Baldota, this project will significantly boost steel production in Karnataka and generate large-scale employment opportunities for locals," the statement said.
"Our vision is to make Baldota a leading company in the country. This project will undoubtedly become Karnataka's pride in the steel industry," it quoted Rahul Baldota, as saying.
ALSO READ: Karnataka expecting Rs 10 lakh cr investment commitments in investor meet: Minister MB Patil
The Baldota Group is a leading player in mineral exploration, mining, industrial gases, pellet production, wind power, shipping, and waste treatment products. It also operates iron ore mines in Karnataka.
With a 70-year legacy in mining, the Baldota Group has received a five-star rating award from the Centre for six consecutive years, the statement said.
According to the Karnataka government, the company has planted two million trees and adopted 20 villages under its corporate social responsibility (CSR) initiative, contributing to education, healthcare camps, sanitation, and women's empowerment in rural areas.
Invest Karnataka 2025, the state's flagship Global Investors' Meet (GIM), will be held from February 12-14.
Let the Truth be known. If you read VB and like VB, please be a VB Supporter and Help us deliver the Truth to one and all.
Mumbai (PTI): Veteran screenwriter Salim Khan suffered a brain haemorrhage which has been tackled, is on ventilator support as a safeguard and stable, doctors treating him said on Wednesday, a day after he was admitted to the Lilavati Hospital here.
The 90-year-old, one half of the celebrated Salim-Javed duo which scripted films such as "Sholay", "Deewar" and "Don" with Javed Akhtar, is in the ICU and recovery might take some time given his age.
"His blood pressure was high for which we treated him and we had to put him on a ventilator because we wanted to do certain investigations. Now the ventilator was put as a safeguard so that his situation doesn't get worse. So it is not that he is critical," Dr Jalil Parkar told reporters.
"We did the investigations that were required and today we have done a small procedure on him, I will not go into the details. The procedure done is called DSA (digital subtraction angiography). The procedure has been accomplished, he is fine and stable and shifted back to ICU. By tomorrow, we hope to get him off the ventilator. All in all, he is doing quite well," he added.
Asked whether he suffered a brain haemorrhage, the doctor said, "Unko thoda haemorrhage hua tha, which we’ve tackled. No surgery is required.
As concern over Khan's health mounted, his children, including superstar Salman Khan and Arbaaz Khan, daughter Alvira, and sons-in-law Atul Agnihotri and Aayush Sharma, have been seen outside the hospital along with other well-wishers. His long-time partner Akhtar was also seen coming out of the hospital.
Khan, a household name in the 70s and 80s, turned 90 on November 24 last year. It was the day Dharmendra, the star of many of his films, including "Sholay", "Seeta aur Geeta" and "Yaadon Ki Baraat", passed away.
Hailing from an affluent family in Indore, Khan arrived in Mumbai in his 20s with dreams of stardom. He was good looking and confident he would make a mark in the industry as an actor. But that did not happen. And then, after struggling for close to a decade and getting confined to small roles in films, he changed lanes.
He worked as an assistant to Abrar Alvi and soon met Akhtar to form one of Hindi cinema's most formidable writing partnerships. They worked together on two dozen movies with most of them achieving blockbuster status.
Other than "Sholay", "Deewar" and "Don", Khan and Akhtar also penned "Trishul", "Zanjeer", "Seeta Aur Geeta", "Haathi Mere Saathi", "Yaadon Ki Baarat" and "Mr India".
