Vijayapura (Karnataka), Jun 27 (PTI): Three people, including a bank manager, have been arrested in connection with the alleged robbery of gold and cash worth over Rs 53.26 crore from Canara Bank’s Managuli branch, police said on Friday.

The accused have been identified as Vijayakumar Miriyala (41), the bank manager, and his accomplices—Chandrashekhar Nerella (38) and Sunil Narasimhalu Moka (40), police added.

The robbery took place at Canara Bank’s Managuli branch in Basavanabagewadi taluk of Vijayapura district on May 25, where Miriyala had previously served as branch manager.

Vijayapura Superintendent of Police Lakshman Nimbargi said 58.97 kg of gold ornaments worth Rs 53.26 crore and Rs 5.2 lakh in cash were stolen from the bank locker.

“In this case, senior manager Vijayakumar Miriyala from Canara Bank’s Hubballi branch and his associates Chandrashekhar Narasimhalu have been arrested,” Nimbargi said.

According to police, the accused had systematically conspired to rob the bank. They had planned the heist in February this year but waited until Miriyala was transferred from the Managuli branch to avoid suspicion.

Following his transfer to the Ronihal branch in Vijayapura district on May 9, Miriyala handed over the keys to the bank’s safe deposit lockers to his accomplices, police said.

Using duplicate keys, the trio carried out the robbery and even placed "black magic materials" near the bank to mislead investigators into believing outsiders were involved, police added.

Following their arrests, police seized two cars used in the crime, along with 10.5 kg of gold valued at Rs 10.75 crore, which was being transported in the vehicles.

Further investigation is underway to recover the remaining stolen gold and cash.

Get all the latest, breaking news from Karnataka in a single click. CLICK HERE to get all the latest news from Karnataka.

Let the Truth be known. If you read VB and like VB, please be a VB Supporter and Help us deliver the Truth to one and all.



Ranchi (PTI): The body of a migrant worker from Jharkhand’s Giridih district killed in Saudi Arabia in October last year has arrived at Ranchi Airport, but his family refused to accept it over pending compensation, officials said.

Shikha Lakra, team leader of the state migrant control cell, told PTI that, before taking the body of Vijay Kumar Mahato, the family is demanding compensation from the private company where he used to work in the Arab country.

Mahato was killed in an alleged crossfire between the police and criminals.

“Since it was a bullet injury case, the matter is before a court in Jeddah. The final compensation may depend on the court’s decision,” Lakra said.

“The Indian Embassy informed us about the body’s arrival, and coordination was done with district authorities. Our role is limited to coordination in cases involving overseas employers and foreign jurisdiction,” she added.

Giridih Deputy Commissioner Ram Niwas Yadav said the authorities will try to convince the family to perform the last rites.

“We have already sanctioned Rs 5 lakh under the government scheme for migrant’s deaths abroad. The compensation payment might take some time,” he said.

The body is currently at the mortuary of Rajendra Institute of Medical Sciences (RIMS) in Ranchi.

The Family members said they will only accept it if the company provides written assurance regarding compensation. “Without that assurance, we will not receive the body,” said Ram Prasad Mahato, the deceased’s brother-in-law.

Mahato, a native of Dudhpaniya village in Madh Gopali panchayat under Dumri block, was employed as a tower line fitter. His family said he was struck by a bullet during a gunfight between local police and an extortion gang and later succumbed to his injuries.

Social activist Sikander Ali said Mahato is survived by his wife, two young sons aged five and three, and elderly parents.