Bengaluru: Former Chief Minister and Member of Parliament Basavaraj Bommai has criticized the 2025-26 Karnataka state budget, presented by Chief Minister Siddaramaiah, calling it anti-people and a financial burden on the common citizens.

In a press statement, Bommai alleged that the budget lacks measures for economic reform and empowerment while highlighting discrepancies between last year’s budget promises and actual implementation.

Bommai pointed out that the state's total revenue for the previous year was estimated at ₹3,68,674 crore, whereas this year, the revenue projection has dropped to ₹3,58,657 crore, marking a decline of ₹10,000 crore. Similarly, the total expenditure, which was ₹3,71,383 crore last year, has been reduced to ₹3,65,865 crore in the new budget, including cuts in capital expenditure. According to him, this indicates a slowdown in the state’s economic growth for 2024-25.

The former Chief Minister also raised concerns over the fiscal deficit, stating that the government has projected it at 2.95% of the Gross State Domestic Product (GSDP), but in reality, it exceeds 3%, which he termed as mere financial adjustment. He further alleged that the state's total debt has now surged to ₹7,64,655 crore, accounting for nearly 25% of Karnataka’s GSDP, which he described as evidence of economic mismanagement.

Expressing disappointment over sector-wise allocations, Bommai said the government has slashed funds for key sectors. The education budget has been cut by 2%, while the allocation for the Women and Child Development Department has been reduced by 1%. He also criticized the lack of special funding for irrigation, rural development, and agriculture, calling it an "anti-farmer budget."

Additionally, Bommai accused the government of failing to take any bold steps to address regional imbalances. He claimed that the ₹5,000 crore allocated to the Kalyana Karnataka Region Development Board (KKRDB) was merely an eyewash, as the funds allocated in the previous budget had not been fully utilized. He added that the failure to announce any special financial assistance for the development of Kittur Karnataka was another letdown for the people of that region.

Let the Truth be known. If you read VB and like VB, please be a VB Supporter and Help us deliver the Truth to one and all.



Bengaluru: The Holy month of Ramadan will start from Thursday, February 19, announced convener of the State Moon Sighting Committee Maulana Maqsood Imran Rashadi on Wednesday.

Speaking at a press conference after the Moon Sighting Committee meeting held at the State Waqf Board office on Cunningham Road in the city on Wednesday evening, he said that there is no information about moon sighting anywhere in the capital Bengaluru, including other districts.

“However, after receiving reports of moon sightings in neighbouring states including Andhra Pradesh, Telangana, Bihar, Odisha, Jharkhand, West Bengal, Rajasthan and Delhi, it has been decided to start fasting from Thursday,” he said.

The meeting was attended by Maulana Mufti Iftikhar Ahmed Qasmi, Maulana Ejaz Ahmed Nadvi and other members of the ulema.