Belagavi: A meeting of the Belagavi City Corporation turned chaotic on Thursday as a clash broke out over the language of proceedings, with corporators from the Maharashtra Ekikaran Samiti (MES) demanding that the session be conducted in Marathi.
Independent corporators Ravi Salunke, Shivaji Mandolkar, and Vaishali Bhatkande, who are backed by MES and part of the opposition group, raised the issue, insisting that all civic body proceedings and documents be presented in Marathi. They argued that this was in accordance with the Linguistic Minority Act, as reported by Deccan Herald.
As the house witnessed acrimonious scenes with members from opposition group itself opposing their demands, Mayor Mangesh Pawar adjourned the house for five minutes.
As the house proceedings began, Salunke reportedly demanded that all documents and proceedings of the civic body to be conducted in Marathi. He was supported by Mandolkar and Bhatkande, who echoed the same demand.
Opposition member Ramesh Sontakki, however, disagreed, stressing that all civic body documents should be issued in Kannada.
Ruling group leader Hanumant Kongali and Girish Dhongadi said that the house should function as per agenda and Salunke should speak only when opportunity is given, DH added.
Later, Salunke, Mandolkar and Bhatkande boycotted the house. As chaos continued, Mayor Pawar adjourned the house for five minutes.
Later, MLA Abhay Patil called on MLA Asif Sait to intervene, urging him to rein in the opposition members, whom he accused of creating unnecessary drama to attract media attention.
Let the Truth be known. If you read VB and like VB, please be a VB Supporter and Help us deliver the Truth to one and all.
Pallekele (PTI): Senior Australia batter Steve Smith was on Monday approved as replacement for the injured pacer Josh Hazlewood, hours before his side's must-win T20 World Cup match against Sri Lanka here.
Smith thus becomes the 15th member of the injury-hit Australia squad.
"Smith is named as a replacement for Hazlewood, who is now officially ruled out from participating in the tournament due to a calf injury. The team’s medical staff had hoped to have him fit in time to feature in the latter parts of the tournament but were unsuccessful," the ICC said in statement.
Smith had earlier been flown to Sri Lanka as cover for skipper Mitchell Marsh, who missed Australia's opening two matches due to a testicular injury.
The veteran batter trained with the squad on Sunday and is in contention to feature in the crucial clash.
Smith has not played a T20I since February last year but has been in good form in the format in domestic competitions.
In positive signs for the 2021 champions, Marsh too has returned to training. The skipper batted in the nets while also taking part in running and fielding drills on Sunday.
Australia’s World Cup campaign is hanging in the balance following their 23-run defeat to Zimbabwe, and they must beat Sri Lanka on Monday to avoid an early exit.
