Bengaluru: Passengers travelling on Namma Metro may soon be permitted to carry sealed liquor bottles, if ongoing discussions within the Bangalore Metro Rail Corporation Limited (BMRCL) result in a formal policy change, The New Indian Express reported on Wednesday.
Sources in BMRCL said the proposal has been discussed on multiple occasions and was taken up again at a recent meeting. While there is in-principle approval for the move, officials indicated that its implementation may take some time.
“We will follow the Delhi model. Currently, carrying liquor is allowed on the airport line of the Delhi Metro. Once Namma Metro is connected to the airport, which is expected in about two years, liquor will be allowed,” a source said.
Officials clarified that no special licence or separate government approval is required to allow passengers to carry sealed liquor bottles. Once cleared, the rule will be incorporated into the Metro’s operational guidelines.
“At present, it is not allowed, and there is no specific reason for it. People are permitted to travel on Metro trains even after consuming alcohol, as it is a public transport system. However, consumption must be within permissible limits,” an official said.
The official did not specify what constitutes permissible limits but but stressed that passengers should not misbehave or cause discomfort to others.
At present, Namma Metro stations display boards listing 58 prohibited items under eight categories. These including sharp objects, firearms, tools, explosive materials, flammable items, disabling chemicals, offensive items and others. Liquor is listed under flammable items as alcohols and spirits.
“We have received several requests and feedback over the years questioning why liquor is prohibited on a public transport system. Some have pointed out that while eating and drinking are not allowed inside trains, carrying sealed bottles like any other luggage should not pose a problem. There have also been instances where security staff at some stations have allowed passengers to carry bottles,” the official said.
Confirming that discussions are underway, BMRCL Director (RES and O&M) Sumit Bhatnagar reportedly said deliberations on allowing sealed liquor bottles inside Metro trains are ongoing.
Let the Truth be known. If you read VB and like VB, please be a VB Supporter and Help us deliver the Truth to one and all.
Bengaluru: The Karnataka government has ruled out any relaxation of the minimum age limit for admission to Class 1 beginning with the academic year 2026-27. Following the refusal, a group of parents continues to press for leniency.
Parents of children who fall under the age of six by a small margin on the cut-off date have met Deputy Chief Minister D K Shivakumar and senior officials from the Department of School Education and Literacy to request an exemption. School Education and Literacy Minister Madhu Bangarappa said that the government will not change its decision, as reported by Deccan Herald.
According to the minister, children must be six years old by June 1 to be eligible for admission to Class 1. beginning with the 2026-27 academic year. He noted that the previous relaxation was a one-time measure that was clearly confined to the 2025-26 academic year.
“If such requests are entertained every year, it will never end. While granting relaxation last year, it was explicitly stated that it applied only to one academic year. From 2026-27 onwards, the rule will be strictly implemented,” Bangarappa was quoted by DH.
Parents argue that the rigid cut-off is affecting children who are short by a few days. One parent was quoted by DH as saying that his daughter would be 12 days short of completing six years on June 1. Such parents would be forced to repeat a year despite being academically ready. Others pointed out that children promoted from LKG to UKG during the 2025-26 academic year are now facing uncertainty over their transition to Class 1.
Few parents also recalled that earlier, admissions were allowed for children aged between five years and 10 months and six years. Parents saw it as a more practical approach, with children born in November and December being disproportionately affected.
The issue of age criterion goes back to a government order issued in July 2022. The order mandated six years as the minimum age for Class 1 admission. Parents of children already enrolled in pre-primary classes, protested against the order and the state deferred implementation, announcing that the rule would come into force from the 2025-26 academic year.
After renewed pressure, the government granted a one-year relaxation for 2025-26, citing the large number of students affected and in consultation with the State Education Policy Commission. While announcing the exemption, the minister had stated that no further concessions would be allowed.
