Bengaluru: The Chinnaswamy stadium will have to stop hosting large if the government acts on the report from the Justice John Michael Cunha Commission, which concluded that the stadium’s "design and structure" are "unsuitable and unsafe" for mass gatherings.

The Commission highlighted "systematic limitations" and strongly recommended moving big events to more suitable venues, as reported by Deccan Herald on Wednesday.

The Commission was formed to investigate the June 4 stampede outside the stadium which claimed eleven lives during Royal Challengers Bengaluru's IPL victory celebrations.

The Commission found the stadium's design and structure to be inadequate and unsafe for mass gatherings. It noted that all entry and exit points led directly onto the footpath, and there was no spacious, organised holding area for crowds. As a result, attendees were forced to queue on the footpath or road, blocking pedestrian and vehicle movement, while also giving scope for miscreants to join the crowd aggravating the risk, especially in the absence of proper security.

“Any future venue should adhere to international standards,” the Commission said. Recommendations include building purpose-designed queuing and circulation zones separated from public roads, adequate gates for mass entry and exit, integrated public transport access points and tourist hubs, emergency evacuation plans compliant with international safety norms, sufficient parking, and drop-off infrastructure to handle attendee volumes.

The panel in its report cautioned that until the necessary infrastructure improvements are made, hosting high-attendance events at the Chinnaswamy stadium would pose unacceptable risks to public safety, urban mobility, and emergency preparedness.

The panel has recommended action against KSCA chief Raghuram Bhat, ex-secretary A. Shankar, ex-treasurer E.S. Jairam, RCB vice-president Rajesh Menon, DNA Entertainment Networks MD T. Venkat Vardhan and VP Sunil Mathur, police officers B. Dayananda, Vikash Kumar Vikash, Shekhar H. Tekkannavar, C. Balakrishna and A.K. Girish, added the report.

The state government is expected to discuss the recommendations in the next Cabinet meeting.

Let the Truth be known. If you read VB and like VB, please be a VB Supporter and Help us deliver the Truth to one and all.



Pallekele (PTI): Senior Australia batter Steve Smith was on Monday approved as replacement for the injured pacer Josh Hazlewood, hours before his side's must-win T20 World Cup match against Sri Lanka here.

Smith thus becomes the 15th member of the injury-hit Australia squad.

"Smith is named as a replacement for Hazlewood, who is now officially ruled out from participating in the tournament due to a calf injury. The team’s medical staff had hoped to have him fit in time to feature in the latter parts of the tournament but were unsuccessful," the ICC said in statement.

Smith had earlier been flown to Sri Lanka as cover for skipper Mitchell Marsh, who missed Australia's opening two matches due to a testicular injury.

The veteran batter trained with the squad on Sunday and is in contention to feature in the crucial clash.

Smith has not played a T20I since February last year but has been in good form in the format in domestic competitions.

In positive signs for the 2021 champions, Marsh too has returned to training. The skipper batted in the nets while also taking part in running and fielding drills on Sunday.

Australia’s World Cup campaign is hanging in the balance following their 23-run defeat to Zimbabwe, and they must beat Sri Lanka on Monday to avoid an early exit.