Bengaluru (PTI): A case has been registered in connection with a 57-year-old woman allegedly losing about Rs 32 crore in a sophisticated 'digital arrest' scam that lasted over six months, which is perhaps the largest cyber fraud of this type in Karnataka, police said on Monday.

Posing as CBI officers, the fraudsters enforced what is called as "digital arrest" by holding her under constant Skype surveillance. They used threats of arrest to coerce her into sharing all financial details and to make 187 bank transfers.

In her complaint, the software engineer of Indiranagar in the city stated that the ordeal lasted for over six months, until she got a 'clearance letter' from the fraudsters.

It began on September 15, 2024, with a call from a person claiming to be from DHL Andheri, alleging that a parcel booked in her name contained credit cards, passports and MDMA, and said her identity had been misused.

Before the woman could respond, the call was transferred to people posing as CBI officers, who threatened her and claimed "all evidence is against you".

The impostors warned her against contacting the police, saying criminals were watching her home. Fearing for her family and her son’s upcoming wedding, she remained silent.

The woman was instructed to install two Skype IDs and remain on video. A man identifying himself as Mohit Handa monitored her for two days, followed by Rahul Yadav, who watched her for a week.

Another impersonator, Pradeep Singh, posed as a senior CBI officer and pressured her to prove her innocence.

The complainant further said that the group appeared to know her phone activity and location, heightening her fear. They told her to verify all her assets with the Financial Intelligence Unit of the RBI and produced forged letters to make it appear official.

From 24 September to 22 October, Umarani shared details of her finances and transferred large sums.

Between 24 October and 3 November, she deposited a supposed surety amount of Rs two crore, followed by further payments for "taxes".

She was promised a clearance letter before her son’s engagement on December 6, and received a fake one. The pressure left the woman mentally and physically unwell.

Finally, the victim received the clearance letter on December 1, allowing the engagement to proceed. But she fell seriously ill after that, requiring a month of medical treatment to recover.

"All this time I had to report over Skype where I am and what I am doing. This person, Pradeep Singh, was in touch daily. I was told that money will be returned by February 25 after completion of all procedures," she added.

Post December, the scammers demanded processing charges, repeatedly delaying refunds to February, then March. All communication ceased on March 26, 2025.

The complainant waited until after her son’s wedding in June to come forward and lodge a complaint.

"In total, through 187 transactions I stand deprived of a total amount of approximately Rs 31.83 crores, which were deposited by me," she said. The woman has asked the authorities to investigate the entire incident.

Let the Truth be known. If you read VB and like VB, please be a VB Supporter and Help us deliver the Truth to one and all.



Bengaluru: The Karnataka government has ruled out any relaxation of the minimum age limit for admission to Class 1 beginning with the academic year 2026-27. Following the refusal, a group of parents continues to press for leniency.

Parents of children who fall under the age of six by a small margin on the cut-off date have met Deputy Chief Minister D K Shivakumar and senior officials from the Department of School Education and Literacy to request an exemption. School Education and Literacy Minister Madhu Bangarappa said that the government will not change its decision, as reported by Deccan Herald.

According to the minister, children must be six years old by June 1 to be eligible for admission to Class 1. beginning with the 2026-27 academic year. He noted that the previous relaxation was a one-time measure that was clearly confined to the 2025-26 academic year.


“If such requests are entertained every year, it will never end. While granting relaxation last year, it was explicitly stated that it applied only to one academic year. From 2026-27 onwards, the rule will be strictly implemented,” Bangarappa was quoted by DH.

Parents argue that the rigid cut-off is affecting children who are short by a few days. One parent was quoted by DH as saying that his daughter would be 12 days short of completing six years on June 1. Such parents would be forced to repeat a year despite being academically ready. Others pointed out that children promoted from LKG to UKG during the 2025-26 academic year are now facing uncertainty over their transition to Class 1.

Few parents also recalled that earlier, admissions were allowed for children aged between five years and 10 months and six years. Parents saw it as a more practical approach, with children born in November and December being disproportionately affected.

The issue of age criterion goes back to a government order issued in July 2022. The order mandated six years as the minimum age for Class 1 admission. Parents of children already enrolled in pre-primary classes, protested against the order and the state deferred implementation, announcing that the rule would come into force from the 2025-26 academic year.

After renewed pressure, the government granted a one-year relaxation for 2025-26, citing the large number of students affected and in consultation with the State Education Policy Commission. While announcing the exemption, the minister had stated that no further concessions would be allowed.